File Replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Replication

Hi, I need some advice or recommended best practice for file replication. I manage two sites under one domain permanently connected via VPN, let's call them "Site A" and "Site B". Both of these sites have File Servers, let's call them "File Server A" and "File Server B". Domain Controller are in place at both sites. These locations are geographically close to each other and frequently users may be at either site. I wish to implement a GPO to redirect each user's documents to a file server. If they are at "Site A" I want to redirect "My Documents" to "Site A File Server". If they are at "Site B" I want to redirect "My Documents" to "Site B File Server". I can then implement DFS Replication to synchronize redirected "My Documents" folders so they will be updated across the domain. Implementation of redirected "My Documents" to associated File Server is my problem. It is very easy to redirect "My Documents". I do not see how to redirect to the site related file server. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Greg Howey.

Re: File Replication

Originally posted by ghowey View Post
    Hi, I need some advice or recommended best practice for file replication. I manage two sites under one domain permanently connected via VPN, let's call them "Site A" and "Site B". Both of these sites have File Servers, let's call them "File Server A" and "File Server B". Domain Controller are in place at both sites. These locations are geographically close to each other and frequently users may be at either site. I wish to implement a GPO to redirect each user's documents to a file server. If they are at "Site A" I want to redirect "My Documents" to "Site A File Server". If they are at "Site B" I want to redirect "My Documents" to "Site B File Server". I can then implement DFS Replication to synchronize redirected "My Documents" folders so they will be updated across the domain. Implementation of redirected "My Documents" to associated File Server is my problem. It is very easy to redirect "My Documents". I do not see how to redirect to the site related file server. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Greg Howey.
    I am giving you a step by step guide for this redirection process. Apply this at both the ends. Read and follow carefully. It is a pdf document.

Hope it helps you.
    Update again.

Thank you
    Last edited by Wired; 11th April 2012, 07:10. Reason: link removed

Comment

If you cannot post the full link, please don't post it at all.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
        If you cannot post the full link, please don't post it at all.
        That was the link for a .pdf file which was very long. I made it short that's it. Fine, let me post it then.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct...GHXZzuDCRB2IIQ

Thank you

Comment

@Techmatrix
          Among other "problems" we have had here are people posting masked URLs to malware etc, hence we prefer (actually require) unmasked URLs so people can see where they are linking to

Since all that is required is a copy/paste, there should be no problem doing so.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            @Techmatrix
            Among other "problems" we have had here are people posting masked URLs to malware etc, hence we prefer (actually require) unmasked URLs so people can see where they are linking to

Since all that is required is a copy/paste, there should be no problem doing so.
            Yes, I understand. Thanks for the suggestion, I will follow it.

Thank you

Comment

Hello.

I am in exactly the same situation, but the link to the PDF no longer works.

Is it possible to repost the location?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X