AD Best Practice Questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Best Practice Questions...

1. I need to clone and rework AD the cloned AD I will be working on in a new non production box.
    2. I already know I will be using DFS, delivering printers and user folders based on user name through DFS and GPO. (these additions do not exist in the current DC)
    3. Security groups are going to be changed and robotic accounts are going to be re-evaluated
    4. Distribution groups will be added so fourth and so on

with that being said is it possible for me to name the DC exactly the same as the existing DC giving user a seamless user experience. So when I and others are done with makeing the new DC we just demote the current and promote the new not haveing to do the whole unjoin the old DC join new DC xfer the documents etc..

I have performed a ful audit and do know the bonds and ties that certain security groups and robot accounts have. So rebuilding the DC is the easy part I just don't want to get to the final stage and have trusts be broken everywhere and all that mess.

Re: AD Best Practice Questions...

Let me also add I have never done this building a new DC to swap with an old one before I have only fixed or added function to existing functional DC's in the past. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

do you have more than one DC ?

also.. consider that, unless you have file shares on the DC itself, users won't really notice the difference.. ?
      the DC only gets called in the background by system processes etc... most users probably don't even know what a DC is
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

First off thank you for your reply, second there is only one operational DC and three Satellite DC's. The file server is barely used but not contained on the DC. Although that is not the case in Mexico FS is on the DC. Canada has FS off the DC and Georgia has FS off the DC. with that being said you believe that building a new DC with the same name, a different OU structure and added functionality of DFS and new FS's will not bring users to a crashing halt once the new DC has been completed and promoted to PDC.

Comment

no, there is no reason it should come to a crashing halt based on what you've told me
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I will attempt in test environment first then roll it in production if success
            I will do in this way
            First i'll install ADC in same site as DC i need to replace
            I will transfer AD FSMO roles \ file or printer shares \ services to newly installed ADC from DC
            Then wait for replication and verify all componants are transferred to new ADC
            I will take old DC off from network
            Rename ADC same as old DC using Netdom

Comment

Working...
            X