AD Sites and Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Sites and Services

I have multiple servers outside of my corporate location. Each location is connected via a hub and spoke VPN using a SonicWALL, basically looks like this:

Location A: 192.168.1.1 - 255
    Location B: 192.168.2.1 - 255
    Location C: 192.168.3.1 - 255

We're setting up a new IP phone system that's going to user our AD structure and Sites and Services as a backbone (I'm guessing because another company is setting it up). Currently our S&S are kind of goofy. I have 3 or 4 servers for other locations listed in my Corporate site.

My question is this: can I just simply move those servers to their appropriate sites within S&S without breaking anything? I've already created their respective sites since they weren't created before.

Thanks!
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Re: AD Sites and Services

ADSS is only for domain controller location and applying Site level GPOs
    You cannot move non-DCs to a site, they will pick it up automatically from their subnet provided there is at least one DC per site
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm sorry, I meant several DC's, not servers. My mistake.

Each of my external locations has a DC, well most of them do at this point. I feel certain that I can just move the existing DC's to the respective sites... For example:

Location A contains DC's for Location A, Location D and Location F.

I created a new site for Locations D and F. I should be able to just move the existing DC's into their respective sites... At least in theory I should...

Thanks,
      Todd

Comment

Okay, I went ahead and moved them... Nothing should break because it's just a lateral move.

I'll hear about it tomorrow if anything goes haywire. Next up will be making sure I can clean out the links and get them all organized! Fun times!

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks,
        Todd

Comment

It should all work fine
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Make sure you have configured the subnets in ADSS or you will gain nothing from setting up sites.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I've got all my subnets setup correctly... Now the fun part is trying to clean up the site to site connections, but I may let the guy who is setting up the phone system do that (he's the admin of our Houston office) if it needs being done at all. From what I can tell, the connections really don't matter as long as the DC's and the subnets are correct.

Thanks,
              Todd

Comment

My main concern with this was screwing up some of the links in S&S. Luckily, that didn't happen.

What I ended up doing was making sure that all of my DC's in my remote locations were in S&S. Once that was done, I went through and linked my Corporate site to everyone and deleted all the other site links.

I then went through to each DC and made a connection to my DC's here at corporate HQ.

Had a couple of hiccups (Like Dynamics farted out on us for about 5 minutes for no reason), but other than that it was a seamless transition during the middle of working hours (which was a concern).

Thanks,
                Todd

Comment

Working...
                X