Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller Migration Issue Windows 2003 Server

Hello Forum,

One of my customers have a Windows 2003 Server Domain controller, since few weeks ago, he notices trouble on the Active Directory service, he called us to diagnose, we noticed that there is a lot of system errors due probably to a virus infection.

We decide to migrate the DC to a new hardware. We did the steps bellow to do that:

1- We Installed the OS on the new server (Windows 2003 R2)
    2- We joined the new server to be a domain member
    3- We run adprep on the old server with forestprep and domainprep
    4- We promote the new server to be a DC
    5- We promote it to be a global catalog
    6- We tranfered the FSMO roles to the new server

We checked the replication of AD users and DNS and all data atre replicated.

BUT...

When i unplug the old server from the network, i'm not able to authenticate users nor join workstations to the domain.

I tried to demote the old server to become a simple domain member using dcpromo, but i have a message during the dcpromo wizard that told that the 'this is the last domain in the forest' is unchecked and the server cannot contact any other domain controller even if my new domain controller is up and running.

I tried to demote and repromote the new server three or four times but i got the same result.

My last action was to unplug the old server form the network and tried to delete it from the list of domain controllers using that article 'Delete Failed DCs from Active Directory' on the petri's web site.:

The result is the same, no way to contact the domain.

Actually, i just unpluged the New server from the network and plugger the old one (I'm afraid to lose AD data if i plug the 2 servers on the same time).

My questions are:

Have you an idea on what can be the cause of that problem?

Do you think that the difference between the OS versions (Windows 2003 Server for the old server and Windows 2003 R2 for the second 'Both are Standard Edition)?

What can you propose for my situation?

Thank you in advance for your mail.

Best regards.

Re: Domain Controller Migration Issue Windows 2003 Server

I would think about removing the old DC permanently from the domain and then doing a metadata cleanup (http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm)

You will need to format/reinstall the old DC before introducing it back to the network but if it has had viruses that is probably a good idea anyway
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I already did it, but my new DC still not visible on my network when i tried to join a machine to the domain or try to authenticate a user.

How can i force a domain controller to broadcast itself "if the terme broadcast is the correct terme"on the network?

Thank you

Comment

Have you reviewed DNS and ensured that the new DC has registered itself SRV records?

I take it that you have set the new DC as Primary DNS?

For the old DC you want to remove, is the Primary DNS set to the new DC?

If you run a DCDIAG, does it show that there is 1 DC?
        Do a 'DCDIAG /e /v >DCDIAG.txt'

How about AD Sites and Services, are both DCs showing there?

Is the Firewall activated on the new DC and causing an issue?

Is the new DC within the same subnet as the Clients and existing DC?

Comment

you mentioned fyou migrated the DNS settings to the new server
          did you update DHCP, so that all the computers know to look at that server now for DNS ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello,

There is no DHCP server configured, all IPs are fixed manually.

I will arrange an appointment this week, will format and reinstall the new server and see is i can fixe the problem.

Will keep you updated.

Thank you

Comment

no, dont just reinstall.

youmentioned that yiu dont use dhcp. okfine.

ny questionis mostly the same. did you change the ip (dns server) configuration on the clients?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

This sounds like DNS issues.

Make sure the DNS service is installed and running on the new server and make sure all the clients are pointed to the new server for DNS. I fear you made your job harder by forcefully removing the old DC from the domain. Don't rebuild the server until your current setup is functioning. You may cause more problems.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Have you reviewed DNS and ensured that the new DC has registered itself SRV records?

I take it that you have set the new DC as Primary DNS?

For the old DC you want to remove, is the Primary DNS set to the new DC?

If you run a DCDIAG, does it show that there is 1 DC?
                  Do a 'DCDIAG /e /v >DCDIAG.txt'

How about AD Sites and Services, are both DCs showing there?

Is the Firewall activated on the new DC and causing an issue?

Is the new DC within the same subnet as the Clients and existing DC?
                  Have you tried my suggestions as well?

Comment

nope. i'm sure heis using shotgunmethod pf troubleshooting as we speak

Comment

Working...
                    X