Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Forgetting Accounts

Hi,

I've been having a weird problem with the AD domain at work (I'm the net admin).

The server is 2008 R2 Standard x64 w/ Windows 7 x64 Pro clients.

Basically, every once in a while - seems to be after the computer has been switched on for a long period of time.. All the network drives get a red cross against them and when I double click them it says "The user name doesn't exist" or "The specified account does not exist". Clearly it does, as it was working 2 minutes prior and no change has taken place in the AD that I'm aware of.

As a result of using folder redirection, my icons disappear from the desktop and when I log off/on again - they have to be re-arranged. It also results in delayed write fails etc.

I can't see anything obvious in the event viewer. There was a Security/Kerberos event 14, but I don't know if that's relevant.

It's likely I haven't provided enough information here so please do ask if you need any more information to help me diagnose this problem.

Thanks,

Adam

Re: AD Forgetting Accounts

Are you getting delayed write failures on the server side?

What is your hard disk setup?

Are you getting any System Event warnings with the disk or NICs on the server?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Delayed write failures are on the client side only, caused by the drop in authentication and therefore inability to write to a network share.

There is a C: and D: drive on the server, and a C: on each client. RAID isn't used. Hard drives are healthy.

There are no event warnings for the NIC/HDD.

I haven't been able to tell if the problem would affect all PCs at the same time, or individually at random times - whenever it happens I have only had access to one PC.

Comment

Am I to take it that nobody has any further input?

Comment

How many computers are affected by this?

If it's just the one client then I would:
          - Go through the event log and note any events that coralate to the time the issue occurs
          - Swap out network cable
          - Check for issues with switch and or switch port
          - Update NIC drivers/firmware, bios, controller drivers/firmware
          - Run chkdsk on the hard drive (SpinRite is a very good hard drive utility so you may want to add that to your utilities but it's $90)
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Also, worth disjoining and rejoining a PC to the Domain and see if the issue persists.

Comment

Hi all,

Just to keep everyone updated and for the purpose of anyone stumbling across this post if they have the same problem...

It seems to only happen when a PPTP VPN connection is open. This VPN does NOT use the remote gateway. I tried setting the local AD DC as the DNS server for this VPN connection, but that hasn't helped. It seems that after a while the VPN kind of.. breaks?

In the network adapters window, clicking Disconnect has no effect and you cannot view the status. If you use the network icon in the system tray however to disconnect, it works fine. After reconnection everything works OK.

Going to carry on playing with it and see what happens.

Adam

Comment

Does the remote network use the same network addressing scheme as your LAN?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

No, the remote network is on a different subnet.

Local - 192.168.1.0/24

Remote - 192.168.100.0/24

I really do think it's something to do with Active Directory timing out in some way after a while and not being able to connect back to the DC in some way. I just can't for the life of me work out how/why it's doing it.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X