No announcement yet.

Non-authoritative or flat rebuild??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-authoritative or flat rebuild??

I have a DC that has completely failed and will need to have Windows server 2003 reinstalled. The AD level is Windows 2000 Native

The DC in question is part of a child domain and holds the FSMO roles for that domain. It also acts as the DNS, WINS, DHCP, print and file server for its location. There are other DCs in the domain but they are in other sites however network links are good to other sites.

can I perform a non-authoritative restore of this DC? This would be most attractive as I would not have to rebuild the DHCP Scope (bear in mind I don't know what reservations and exclusions there were), I would not have to reinstall printers (there are over 40 with unique settings!). There are also the data to consider (share permissions etc...)

However it is the PDCe, RD master and infrastructure master

Re: Non-authoritative or flat rebuild??

Should be no issues with the non-authoritative restore
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Non-authoritative or flat rebuild??

For the benefit of people reading this post in the future

From what I have read on articles on line it seems OK to perform a non-authoritative restore as long as the FSMO roles have not been seized by another DC in the domain

Anyone else have an opinion