Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone done Domain Rename before?

Hi all,

I just want to ask if anyone have renamed their AD domain before and what are your experiences?

We have a single domain forest called ad.olddomain.co.uk and the domain name (Pre-Windows 200) is OLDDOMAIN. Now i believe that this is the reason my user logon on each user account is OLDDOMAIN\user.name.

I have added an additional UPN suffix newdomain.co.uk so i can log on with my user account [email protected]

My manager has asked me if there is any way we can get rid of OLDDOMAIN\user.name and i told him i have heard of a domain rename tool.

So we have 1 single domain forest, 4 sites, GPO's, Exchange 2003 SP2

How likely are we to break everything with domain rename tool? and how does domain member computers pick up new domain name?

Rippie

Re: Has anyone done Domain Rename before?

What domain and forest functional level are you at?
    Review the excellent article on the main site:
    http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

2003 forest and domain functional level

Just reading the article. sounds very good.

looking forward to hear people's experiences

Comment

Just follow the MS KB article (in the links at the bottom of the Petri article) and it should all work ok. Do you have anything non standard on the Domain?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have carried out a rename once. The only issues was with some servers and workstations loosing their association with the domain, so had to be demoted to a workgroup and rejoined.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            I have carried out a rename once. The only issues was with some servers and workstations loosing their association with the domain, so had to be demoted to a workgroup and rejoined.
            This is great news.

I have decided to use one of our spare servers to install ESXi on and install a DC, Exchange, Client on. configure DHCP, DNS, GPOs etc and then try change the domain name.

Does printers, multi function printers/scanners etc find new domain? or do you have to do any work to them?

Rippie

Comment

You will probably need to change any hard coded authentication (DOMAIN\Username format) but I presume IP addresses etc. will not change so they should FIND it OK
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X