X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate users & Computers From Domain A to Domain B

HI,

I am planning a project where I will need to migrate aprox 500 users &
    computers from one active directory domain to another new sub Domain. Need you guys help.

Comany A one department ( 500 users -3 Locations) moving to sub Domain in Company B

Two Forest and no trust at this stage.

My Plan,

1. create a sub domain and create the trust between Company A
    2. disable sid filtering ?
    3. Use ADMT V3 to Move users and Computers
    4. Create new DFS and sync? ( Remote or Local?)

My Questions?

1 How do we move user profiles?
    2. How do we rename the computers?
    3. How do i move the mailboxes?
    4. How do i give the same file and printer shares?
    5. Move GPO or create new ones?
    AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Re: Migrate users & Computers From Domain A to Domain B

1 and 2: These are accomplished with ADMT. Active directory Migration tool. Assuming these are local profiles the ADMT will stamp them with the correct SID using the security translation so uses will still have access to their same profile data. If roaming profiles simply point in AD to the new/old location.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=17488

3: This depends on your environment. And the version of Exchange. You can either use the native MS route or use 3rd party tools. If you have no experience with this you may require a consultant.

4: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=25311
    The print migration tool can backup and restore printers. Although for file and print that is also dependent on the data, the complexity of the environment and of course user impact. There is generally no straight forward method for this and can in some instances be quite a labour intensive task.

5:Create new GPO's. It is better to establish a clean baseline. You can export the GPO's or at least do a resultant set and export to HMTL so you have at least a breakdown of what each GPO contains.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks, I got 3 locations so each one got the AD so what is the best way to move those users and AD to new domain?

Do one location at a time? and dcpromo each?

Thanks,

Cosy
      AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Hi,

Any ideas? What about the Service accounts and Global Groups?

Got Exchange 2007 can we move the mailbox if we have trust and got exchange 2010?

Cosy
        AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Cosy,

have you read the ADMT migration guide, that comes along with the ADMT package ?
          It's a big, long read.. but it explains most everything.. including the order in which things need to be done
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X