Upgrading from 2003 to 2008 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 2003 to 2008 domain

We have x3 physical Donain controllers running a 2003 domain and we now wnat to upgrade to a 2008 domain.

The problem I think we have is the x3 DC's are all x32 bit hardware so we wouldnt be able to load server 2008 straight on. We would need a new server.

Has anyone been in the same situation as me & what did you do?

Im looking for th best way to do this.

We alao also part of another domain within our group. Not sure if this would make a difference or not.

Re: Upgrading from 2003 to 2008 domain

2008 still exists as a 32 bit OS but 2008R2 is x64 only, and most hardware less than c. 5 years old should be 64 bit capable.

You should:
    1) update AD schema to 2008R2 by running ADPREP (32 bit) from the 2008R2 media on the current Schema Master
    2) Build a new 2008R2 server and join to existing domain
    3) Install AD DS Role and then DCPromo
    Add DNS, DHCP and any other roles you need
    4) Repeat a suitable number of times for all new DCs
    Alongside 4
    5) DCPromo existing 2003 DCs to remove them from the domain

Subject to hardware specs, you could probably UnPromo an existing DC, disjoin from domain, wipe and install 2008R2 on the current box -- do that one at a time and you will have migrated without extra hardware
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Upgrading from 2003 to 2008 domain

Originally posted by Deland01 View Post
      We have x3 physical Donain controllers running a 2003 domain and we now wnat to upgrade to a 2008 domain.

The problem I think we have is the x3 DC's are all x32 bit hardware so we wouldnt be able to load server 2008 straight on. We would need a new server.

Has anyone been in the same situation as me & what did you do?

Im looking for th best way to do this.

We alao also part of another domain within our group. Not sure if this would make a difference or not.
      You say that you are part of another domain within the group. Is this in the same AD Forest or via a Trust? If you can give us an idea of the AD Forest and domain structure including FQDN names. You don't have to give the actual names.

Comment

Working...
      X