Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD 2008 r2 user password reset

Hello,
    Could any one help. I have checked on the similar posts and have found out that this not new, but it simply not working for me.
    here is my syntax to change user passwords for an entire OU.

dsquery user “OU=accounts,DC=zbbank,DC=zbfhgrp,DC=co,DC=zw ” | dsmod user -pwd Password1 -mustchpwd yes

and I get the error:
    dsquery failed: Directory object not found. dsmod failed'Target object for this command is missing'
    Last edited by Ossian; 13th November 2011, 12:19. Reason: Remove inadvertant smilie

Re: AD 2008 r2 user password reset

I presume the DSQUERY works on its own and DSMOD works OK with a named user account?

Have you thought about using the (free) QAD powershell cmdlets?
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine170.htm
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I presume the DSQUERY works on its own and DSMOD works OK with a named user account?

Ossian,

Thanks for the quick response. I am new on AD Platform and would appreciate if I could get the command examples for both dsquery and dsmod effecting the bulk password change.

I would apreciate to get the free QDA powershell cmdlets. Any particuler URL i could download it from?

Thanks
      Last edited by biggles77; 15th November 2011, 13:01. Reason: Fix broken [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

Ossian,

I tried dsmod to a single user in an ou and it has worked:
        syntax that worked is:
        dsmod user "cn= Peter Jons,ou=sales1,dc=zbbank,dc=zbfhgrdc,dc=co,dc=zw" -pwd <passowrd> -mustchpwd yes.

where am I missing it with the entire OU with syntax:
        dsmod user "ou=sales1,ou=sale2,dc=zbbank,dc=zbfhgrdc,dc=co,dc =zw" -pwd <password> -mustchpws yes

regards
        Last edited by biggles77; 15th November 2011, 13:03. Reason: there was typig mistakes plus inclusssion of error [] Fix broken [/QUOTE]

Comment

Run the DSQuery part on its own and check it returns the correct users

Did you read the link I posted -- it includes the download for the QAD cmdlets
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hurrah,
            I finnally got it right. for insterest sake I use the follwing syntax:

dsquery user "ou=sales1,dc=nnnn,dc=nnnn1,dc=co,dc=zw" |dsmod user -pwd <password> -mustchpwd yes.

rgds.

Comment

thanks Ossian, I will read it now that I have offloaded the pressure.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
              X