Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re DCPromo a DC?

Hi all

I have forcabley remove AD from a DC (dcpromo /forceremoval) and then performed a metedata cleanup of this DC from another DC in the domain.

I have forced rplication around the domain and there appears to be no objects for the forcably removed DC.

Can I now run DCPromo on the forcably removed DC or do I have to reinstall the OS?

Windows 2003 AD 2000 Native
    Last edited by didgemaster; 9th November 2011, 12:50.

Re: Re DCPromo a DC?

No -- wipe and re-install, and make sure the computer account is gone from AD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I always make sure that the server object in AD Sites and Services is also removed. Then a case of ensuring the computer AD object in ADUC is removed and all DNS entries for it, if they are still left behind.
      Last edited by Virtual; 10th November 2011, 14:17.

Comment

I agree with ossian - if you've forcibly demoted the server, then wipe it and start again
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Agree as well... A wipe/re-install will just take about an hour or so of your time and will guarantee a smooth integration of this server back as a DC.
          JM @ IT Training & Consulting
          http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
          X