Replacing NT PDC with 2003 Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing NT PDC with 2003 Domain Controller

I will be replacing our NT PDC with a 2003 domain controller; there currently is no BDC. All new hardware, and only 30 users; so I will not be doing any migration.
    I have read lots of articles on how to 'upgrade' an NT PDC, but not much on replacing. This is what I am thinking of doing:
    1) create a temporary BDC and sync it
    2) log users off, etc, etc,...
    3) shut down PDC and disconnect from network
    4) bring up new domain controller with the same IP/name as the old PDC.
    Seems logical, but that is an oxy-moron with MS sometimes. Maybe I should add the new one as an 'additional domain controller in an existing domain'; but then I would have to change everyones RDP/ICA sessions.
    What do you think?

Thanx,
    Graeme

Have you considered a straight new install
    Create new user accounts etc, migrate data, then scrap the old PDC

That way you get a fresh start with no legacy garbage

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, actually it is a straight new install. I am manually creating user accounts. The data is on a different server, so nothing has to be done there. And I will be scraping the old PDC.
      Maybe I am just being paranoid because of the horor stories I have heard. Up until now, I have just created a new, different domain when upgrading.
      I guess I left one thing out: I have an SQL server on the network. Because of the queries it does, I have to keep the domain name the same; it is hard-coded in places.

Comment

Create the SBS "off line" with the same NETBIOS domain name, then disconnect the old PDC and connect the new SBS DC. Join the SQL server to the network and join all the client PCs -- you should find that the SQL works correctly still. In the event of disaster, you can still put the PDC back on while you sort any problems.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X