help me to upgrade the my AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me to upgrade the my AD

i am running AD on windows 2000 server till now now i want to make a new AD server in 2008, now i need your help in upgrade process. i also want to know whether i have to join all my client to new domain again ,wht are the pre-instaltion things that i should take care before doing any upgrade,

kindly tell me the complete process bceause i have very little knowledge

is these are right steps or i am missing some thiing?

I am already using a windows 2000 ad server ,now i am creating a new ad server on server 2008 32 bit and after that i will discard my 2000 AD server ,i will perform these steps tell me if i am wrong or i need to add more thing

1 install 2008 on new server
    2 give ip address and point to exiting DNS server,
    3 run ADPREP on windows 2000 to raise the forest functional level
    4 run the DC promo command
    5 do the manual replication
    6 move the FSMO roles
    7 the install DNS on new server and the remove the old 2000 server

plz let me know is this right process or i have to do some thing else ,

Comment

Re: help me to upgrade the my AD

Is this an entirely new domain or a new DC for your existing domain, then retire the existing DC?

If the first, do some research on ADMT (AD Migration toolkit).
      If the second, you will need to upgrade the AD schema and then join the new DC to the existing domain.

Consider some consultancy as the process can be complex if you are not experienced.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: is these are right steps or i am missing some thiing?

Merged with other thread

Process is generally OK
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Is this an entirely new domain or a new DC for your existing domain, then retire the existing DC?

If the first, do some research on ADMT (AD Migration toolkit).
          If the second, you will need to upgrade the AD schema and then join the new DC to the existing domain.

Consider some consultancy as the process can be complex if you are not experienced.
          it is second i am going to create a new DC on my new server as u maintain that i have to upgrade the AD schema i want to know is i have to run dcpromo before joining my server to the domain, ????where are the FSMO roles

Comment

OK, you need to run ADPREP from the 2008R2 media on your existing DC first (there are 32 and 64 bit versions -- choose the correct one.)

Then you build the 2008R2 machine and join it to the domain as a member server and give it a static IP
            Next you install the AD Directory Services role
            Finally you run DCPROMO on the 2008R2 server

FSMO roles are on the existing DC and will remain there unless you move them to the new one.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

OK, you need to run ADPREP from the 2008R2 media on your existing DC first (there are 32 and 64 bit versions -- choose the correct one.)

Then you build the 2008R2 machine and join it to the domain as a member server and give it a static IP
              Next you install the AD Directory Services role
              Finally you run DCPROMO on the 2008R2 server

FSMO roles are on the existing DC and will remain there unless you move them to the new one.

sir i dont need to do any thing on clinet side or if some thing goes wrong during upgrade process then can my client will still be able to connect to my 2000 dc till the time i remove it ,,,,
              Last edited by Wired; 9th October 2011, 22:09. Reason: fixed BBCODE

Comment

Correct.

Seriously, if you are not comfortable with adding an additional DC, get a consultant. The reduction in stress will be worth the price.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Correct.

Seriously, if you are not comfortable with adding an additional DC, get a consultant. The reduction in stress will be worth the price.
                  well i cant hire a consultant but i decided i will not upgrade my AD,i will create new domain server , i will just transfer the DNS data base from my old id, but right

now my quistion is what will happend if i will create a new dc.will it as simple as running DC promo . or in this also i need to do any thing else

thanks for your help.but i cant spend money,

Comment

Working...
                  X