Migrating Office server to a new one.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Office server to a new one.

hello everyone. my company running on a single server (2008 r2 with SQL server, AD, DNS, Exchange 2010 Not SP1) we recently bought a Blade server in a great price so we would like to use the blade server for out offices.
    i would like to be able to transfer all the data of the fileserver AD and Exchange database with the ability to use the old server while im installing the new one.
    can someone please tell me how this can be done ?
    i know how to install AD and exchange but i never did a migration between servers.
    i will be very appreciated if you guys have article or book i can read about this subject.
    also if it matters im going to install the AD and exchange on Separate modules of the blade server.

thanks you.

Re: Migrating Office server to a new one.

Since you have an existing domain, the process is simple:
    Join the new servers (each blade is presumably one server OS) to the domain
    DCPROMO, add DNS and DHCP Roles
    Install Exchange on another blade
    Move mailboxes, HT connectors etc to new Exchange server and uninstall Exchange on old one
    Unpromo old server and confirm SQL is still OK
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yea basiclly i understand the idea but im looking for more spicific instruction for example
      the new server which im going to do a dcpromo it will ask me what kind of tree in which forest or a new forest.

Comment

Additional domain controller in existing domain, I would assume

Have you considered getting some consultancy?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

paid consultancy is not an option because it's relativly a small company with about 20 users and mailboxes.

as an IT Manager my job is to solve those problems in the company and im not running the budget.

Comment

I would strongly recommend Jeff Middleton's SwingIt Migration Kit for $200 (sbsmigration.com). Virtually painless and you build the new server with the old server online and take as long as you want.

Used it once and I would not do a migration any other way.

Comment

Working...
            X