Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Existing Domain's IP Scheme

Hi all,

New Company (NewCo) just bought-out old company (OldCo) and they want us to become part of their NewCo Corporate WAN. In order to have their same look and feel, they want OldCo to make their IP scheme fit NewCo's scheme. This means re-IPing an AD. 2 DC/Catalog/DNS/DHCP servers (No Exchange), and a bunch of other stuff. I can manage the "other" stuff, but I know AD is going to scream loudly when I start changing IPs on DCs... Anyone out there done this before willing to share their experience and/or offer some sort of road-map?

Much obliged,
    RC

Re: Changing Existing Domain's IP Scheme

There are only two DNS records regarding a DC that have any relevance to the ip address, that's the A record for the domain and the A record for the DC itself. Once you change the ip address on the DC it will update or create a new A record for the domain and for itself with the new ip address. Here's what I would do:

1. Change any statically configured clients to point to the new ip address for their primary DNS.

2. Update your DHCP scope options to reflect the new ip address for the DNS server.

3. Change the ip address on the DC.

4. Reboot the DC.

5. Verify that the A records for the domain and the DC reflect the new ip address.

6. Remove any A records that reflect the old ip address.

7. If you have a rDNS zone then update/verify the rDNS record for the DC.

Done

Comment

AD will be fine when you update IP addresses, as long as you're careful about it.
      Update one at a time, then do ipconfig /registerdns
      then confirm it's updated !
      then do the next ones
      etc..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

In addition to the two A records Joe mentions, also make sure the NS records are updated and the DNS partition and site A records and are updated.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          In addition to the two A records Joe mentions, also make sure the NS records are updated and the DNS partition and site A records and are updated.
          Thanks for the additional info, Jeremy. The A records should be registered automatically but the OP should verify it as you suggested. I've notice that when changing the ip address of a DC that a new A record for the DC and for the domain is registered but the old ones are left behind, which may or may not be normal.

Comment

Yup, definitely seen that too. I've had to clean up many a domain with messed up DNS records so I've been forced to get familiar with what it should look like.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks all. I'll make sure and clean-up any old A records on the DC before I start bringing-up and others. How about in the Sites and Services snap-in...Will the subnets need to be cleaned up and the new ones added?

RC
              Last edited by rcastro; 14th September 2011, 14:53.

Comment

Yes... obviously!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X