Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing in AD and the little book?

Hi,
    Do alot of people publish file shares in the AD? WHat else do you publish? WHat does this help with or add to convenience for?

I also know the little book is gone from my network places in xp, so how do you browse the AD then? WHy did they take that out?

Re: Publishing in AD and the little book?

Removing the browsing of AD from network places was based on many requests of sysadmins and managements folks that did not like the fact that mortal users can browse the whole AD. With XP, you can still browse the AD, but you just do not have the easily accessible GUI for that.

As for publishing, personally, I do not see much value in publishing anything other than printers. Printer publishing together with GPO which points clients to the correct container is quite useful.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I use AD to publish DFS-based shares. Plus, see other thread you've opened for more considerations.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok, so how do users browse the ad without the book? I know I have come across it but can't remember where?

Comment

start -> run -> rundll32 dsquery,OpenQueryWindow

If you create a shortcut you can dbl-click it to launch the search instead.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks but I don't get anything when I do that?

Is this the same "nice" task pad Dan P mentions in this post or one just similar?

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman
              Thanks but I don't get anything when I do that?

Is this the same "nice" task pad Dan P mentions in this post or one just similar?
              No it's not.

Search my site for "taskpad" and for "quickly search active directory".
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X