Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade domain from 2003 to 2008

hello all!
    i have server 2003 pdc , and i want to upgrade my domain to 2008 mode.
    i installed server 2008 32 bit in my network and promoted him to be a dc server (not a pdc yet, but after i will demote the 2003 pdc and my server 2008 will be the pdc).
    i transferd all the fsmo rules to the new 2008 server , and now the next step is to take care of the schema by running addprep /domainprep /gpprep.
    in my site im running also 4 "member dc's" with 2008 64 bit.
    i have 2 question about the situation:
    1. is there any problem if my 2008(32 bit) pdc have to work with the others dc's that are 64 bit?
    2. if there is any problem if i have exchange 2007 that runs on server 2003 member server?

best regreds,
    idan.

Re: upgrade domain from 2003 to 2008

You should have done the adprep before you added the first 2008 DC. In fact, you must have done so otherwise dcpromo would have failed.

I would check the schema version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/556086
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi ossian , thanx for the fast answering...
      i've already promoted my 2008 server by dc promo command , do i have to run addprep /domainprep /gpprep on my new 2008 server to make my domain working with 2008 mode? is there any problem working with 2008 32 bit server (pdc) with my other member dc's (2008 64 bit server) ?

Comment

ADPREP is run once on the domain -- as I said, check your current level.
        Running it again doesnt do any harm.

No problem with mixing 32bit and 64 bit DCs -- although any new ones should probably be 2008R2 which is 64 bit only.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanx alot ossian..
          i will report you after completing the migration

Comment

i have another question about roaming profile ,i'm working with roaming profile in my company,i started to deploy win 7 to my clients, after win 7 client login , in the profiles folders a new folder name %username%.v2 i creating.
            the thing is that this folder do not recive all the data (like favorits, desktop and others) from the %username%.v1 (the original folder). what i have to do that the two folders will be sync if i want to work with xp and win7 both o.s in my company?

Comment

XP and Vista/7 use two different profile formats. You will never be able to share one profile between both OSes

What you can do is set up "folder redirection" so key folders like documents, desktop etc. are stored in a network location and accessed from any workstation, regardless of OS
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

hi!
                i did all the tasks , now i have 2008 dc server with all the rules and the schema is upgraded to level 47(2008 r2)and everything is ok (: ) . now the last step is to demote the last 2003 dc server (that was the main dc). the thing is that i need to know when do i have to raise the function lavel to 2008 mode. do i have to raise the domain function level before i demote the last 2003 dc server or after this task?
                if you know any task that is have to do before this actions please help me with information.
                thanx

Comment

You cannot raise the functional level while you have any DCs at a lower level, so has to be after you demote the last 2003 DC
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

tanx tom i will demote first

Comment

i thought about other way. i still have the 2003 dc server and this is the last 2003 server in my organization. if i will upgrade(without demote) this 2003 server to 2008 r2 server while he is a dc with dhcp and dns. is it posible?

Comment

Yes -- various tutorials: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

But ask yourself if the server is up to it, and does it have any legacy c**p that is best removed
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by idandidie View Post
                          i thought about other way. i still have the 2003 dc server and this is the last 2003 server in my organization. if i will upgrade(without demote) this 2003 server to 2008 r2 server while he is a dc with dhcp and dns. is it posible?
                          If the Server 2003 is 32bit then NO, you cannot upgrade it because Server 2008 R2 is 64bit.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good call -- I saw "2008" and my brain stopped there
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Working...
                            X