Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

consolidating three disparate Active Directory Domains into one new Windows Server 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• consolidating three disparate Active Directory Domains into one new Windows Server 20

Hi

I need some help if possible to give an overview of consolidating three disparate Active Directory Domains into one new Windows Server 2008 Domain.

Covering the following areas

Planning
    Testing
    Implementation

Pay specific attention to the areas you would need to take into consideration and how you

might mitigate any potential issues you may encounter (if any).

Thanks
    Andy

Re: consolidating three disparate Active Directory Domains into one new Windows Serve

Homework time again?

Assuming this is real world, follow the strategy of:
    Advertise for consultant
    Review applications and take up references
    Choose consultant
    Negotiate price
    Pay consultant
    Sit back while consultant carries out work and reports

Alternatively, tell us something about the organisation, the size, the current infrastructure etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: consolidating three disparate Active Directory Domains into one new Windows Serve

ADMT (ACtive Directory Migration Tool)
      the migration guide that comes with this tool should give you enough reading to help sort it out.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the response. This is for the company I work with. They have 2,000+ employee user base and 300+ servers (server 2003 currently) looking to go over to server 2008 R2 within a virtual environment

I will look into using ADMT. How would I start with this?

How would I setup the trusts? Would you have the new AD domain on server 2008 running alongside the old AD Domain on server 2003. Please could you explain how this would work

Can you help on how I would go about undertaking the following areas

Planning
        Testing
        Implementation

Basically where would I start? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Many Thanks
        Andy

Comment

Andy,
          for a project of the scope you're looking to undertake I would look to find a consultant that has done this lots of times. There's no way we can effectively give you the information you'll need to have a successful migration.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

What other systems are involved? (Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL Server etc....)
            What size is the IT team?
            Is it all one site?

As I said before, and has been re-emphasised, get a consultant!
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjamesb View Post

I will look into using ADMT. How would I start with this?
              With the ADMT migration guide.
              With reading about ADMT
              With at least being able to find where to download the tool from for yourself!! ?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X