Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Offices: Child domain or separate site?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Offices: Child domain or separate site?

I am implementing a new ADS and have a question about sites and child domains.

My initial instinct is to set up separate child domains for each office and put a DC there. I.E. Miami.Company.Local, Denver.Company.Local, etc.

In researching this methodology, I started thinking about AD sites.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using child domains for separate offices vs. different sites in the same domain?

I spent some time searching the net for this, but didn't come up with anything conclusive.

Thanks

-Grant
    Last edited by GWalker107; 30th August 2011, 21:45.

Re: Remote Offices: Child domain or separate site?

I would say there's a little bit of administration separation with using child domains. In Active Directory, Sites represent the physical layout of your network so that replication and authentication, among other things, are optimized.

What are you looking to be able to do and what will be the administrative structure?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

As said, child domains are useful where you need separation of administrative duties or different password/lockout rules. In general, Microsoft recommend they are not used without good reasons as they add multiple levels of complexity (e.g. schema updates).

From experience with multi-site networks, avoid them if you can.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would concur with my wiser associates.. unless you have an outstanding need for child domains (mainly, I'd expect a HUGE organisation) then don't do it
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the advisement. I will be doing sites instead of child domains.

Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
          X