Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migration of AD & Exchange running of single box in 2003 (32bit) to 2008 R2 (64 bit)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration of AD & Exchange running of single box in 2003 (32bit) to 2008 R2 (64 bit)

Hi

I m running PDC, DNS & exchange 2007 on a single box on WS-2003 (32 bit),
    want to migrate this to 2008 R2 Enterprise (64 bit).

please suggest me the best way to migrate this infrastructure without users to know that what is happening on the background.

it's urgent, would appericaite the quick responce.

Thanks in advace.

Re: Migration of AD & Exchange running of single box in 2003 (32bit) to 2008 R2 (64 b

Firstly, please try to have Exchange and the Domain Controller on two separate machines (unless SBS is used) as having both on one box can cause problems.

Basic process
    Build new machines and join to existing domain
    Add DC, DNS, DHCP roles to one
    Modify DHCP scope to point to new DC
    Install Exchange 2010 (why bother with an older version) on the other. Since it is an existing organisation, inter server connectors will be created.
    Install CAS certificates etc.
    Move mailboxes -- clients (depending on Outlook version) may have to be changed
    Test and ensure all is OK
    Uninstall old Exchange
    Unpromo old DC (FSMOs will transfer automatically
    Remove old server from domain & scrap / repurpose

Note you did not mention files, printers etc, but you will need to consider them too.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Migration of AD & Exchange running of single box in 2003 (32bit) to 2008 R2 (64 b

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for the reply, i m also migrating the Exchange from 2007 to 2010

this time i will seprate both the systems DC & Exhange. as recomended by you.

I want to know if there is any other method for migrating the DC & Exchange.

Comment

Probably, but I hope I have the simplest

You could consider a total AD rebuild
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If i wil go for the total AD rebuild, what will happen for the Users & their mailboxes,
          i mean is it possible to get them restored on New Server.

or i will have create all users & mailboxes again.

Comment

Yes, you will have to recreate them.

Do you have a consultant who can give you some advice on this project?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I noticed that you said your 2003 box is 32-bit. Are you running an evaluation copy of Exchange 2007? If not then your 2003 server is 64-bit since Exchange 2007 doesn't come in a 32-bit version.

I would follow Tom's first suggestion as it will be the most transparent method to the users. Files, printers, LOB applications are a different story and users will probably notice a change there.

They will also notice when you're moving their particular mailbox from the old server to the new server if they're trying to access it at that time. I would try and move all the mailboxes after hours and be sure to leave the old exchange server up until all Outlook clients have been able to pick up the new settings.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X