No announcement yet.

2000 DC Blue Screen and Mem Dump

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 DC Blue Screen and Mem Dump

Hello, I recently started a new job and they are still running on 2000 Active Directory. One of my first tasks here has been get them upgraded to 2003, then 2008. I have ran my domain and forest preps, and upon DCPromo'ing my first 2003 DC, BAM! The FSMO role holder crashes. No event logs, just a memory dump that I don't seem to be able to analyze. At first I assumed maybe it was just old hardware and the fact that the DC was virtual, so we tried to build a new 2000 DC to move the roles to...same problem. As soon as I DCPromo'd and rebooted, the FSMO holder crashed again. Tried moving the FSMO roles to a different 2000 DC, same problem...

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Suggestions on how I can get this upgraded? I would just bring up the 03 box and seize roles, but I'm worried that it has ever been online long enough to get a good copy of AD...

Re: 2000 DC Blue Screen and Mem Dump

Found the answer. The McAfee on-access scanner was causing it. Disabling it temporarily fixed it. We are now fully upgraded to 2003. 2008 next step. You can also find the folders to permanantly exclude from on-access scanning in Microsoft KB822158 if anyone cares.

Re: 2000 DC Blue Screen and Mem Dump

Thanks for posting back the solution

Get that 2000 box retired asap, if you havent already!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **