Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSVDE-problems importing

Hello,

currently I'm reading the 70-640 exam book by Dan Holme. I'm at the part where importing to AD using CSVDE.

I've created my own CSV file, but I keep getting this message when importing it:

Connecting to "(null)"
    Logging in as current user using SSPI
    Importing directory from file "ch3pr1a.
    Loading entries.
    0 entries modified successfully.

The command has completed successfully

I've included the DN, objectClass, givenName, sn, and sAMAccountName on the first row with one attribute per column as instructed, but still get the same error message.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks

Re: CSVDE-problems importing

Could you post the first 2 or 3 lines of the file, also the exact syntax of the csvde command you are using
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Could you post the first 2 or 3 lines of the file, also the exact syntax of the csvde command you are using
      csvde -i -f ch3pr1a.csv

DN objectClass givenName sn sAMAccountName
      CN=Carlos Quentin,OU=People,DC=contoso,DC=com user Carlos Quentin carlos.quentin
      CN=Jesse Crain,OU=People,DC=contoso,DC=com user Jesse Crain jesse.crain

Comment

I suspect the CSV parser is being fooled by the commas in the CN= section, and the spaces in the name. Try wrapping different parts in quotes, as in the example here:
        http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...CSVDE_Bulk.htm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I suspect the CSV parser is being fooled by the commas in the CN= section, and the spaces in the name. Try wrapping different parts in quotes, as in the example here:
          Tried wrapping the entire CN= section in quotes. No luck.

Does it matter what order the attributes are in on the first line? I've tried moving those around to match different examples I've seen online, but that doesn't work either.

Comment

What about names in quotes? (look at the example)

Order should not matter since you have a header row
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

What about names in quotes? (look at the example)

Order should not matter since you have a header row
              I tried wrapping just the name in the CN section in quotes. That didn't work either.

I'm looking at the URL you suggested, but I don't see where he's wrapping just the name. From what I can tell, he's wrapping the entire CN= section in quotes with what looks like a leading space and from what I've read, you're not supposed to have any leading or trailing spaces. Either way, I've tried quotes around the whole CN section with and without that space and quotes just around the first and last name.

On a side note, using notepad I've successfully imported this:

DN,objectClass,givenName,sn,sAMAccountName
              "cn=Paul Konerko,ou=People,dc=contoso,dc=com",user,Paul,Kon erko,paul.konerko

This is the same format as the csv file, except instead of the columns separating the attributes, it's commas.

Comment

Have to say that is a more normal format (think on the meaning of CSV )

IMHO edit your file to replace spaces with commas and try that way -- will still need quotes around the CN=
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Have to say that is a more normal format (think on the meaning of CSV )

IMHO edit your file to replace spaces with commas and try that way -- will still need quotes around the CN=
                  Nope, still no luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X