Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you create a AD tree out of two different domains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you create a AD tree out of two different domains?

Hi all,

At the school district where I work, we have two domains:

domain1.districtname.org
    domain2.districtname.org

If I understand correctly, since these domains were created individually, each domain resides in its own tree. Also, we have never had a domain or tree with just districtname.org (poor planning on my part).

So, naturally, we would now like to create a tree with a root domain of districtname.org, and make the existing two domains child domains of districtname.org, all in the same tree:

districtname.org
    domain1.districtname.org domain2.districtname.org

I've read a lot on domains, trees and forests, but can't seem to find the answer to this question (maybe because I'm not wording it properly?). Is this possible?

Just a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Bret

Re: Can you create a AD tree out of two different domains?

It's not possible to move a domain into a new forest. What you can do instead is create a new domain in the target forest and migrate to it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

like gfi said,

you can't move a domain into a forest, but you COULD use ADMT, and create a new forest, then a new domain below it, and migrate everything to it.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you both for responding. So, let me make sure I understand this correctly:

Create a new domain (and consequentially, a new tree, and forest):

districtname.org

Then, create two child domains in the districtname.org tree:

domainX.districtname.org
        domainY.districtname.org

Then, use ADMT to migrate both of my existing domains:

domain1.districtname.org
        domain2.districtname.org

to the two new domains:

domainX.districtname.org
        domainX.districtname.org

Is that the idea?

If so, I'm assuming there isn't an easy way to make the two new child domains have the same names as the two separate domains I have now?

Also, I have never used the ADMT. Is migrating domains something relatively easy with the tool, or something fraught with errors and major cleanup?

Bret

Comment

Or, actually, would it make more sense to create a new domain and tree for districtname.org, and simply import both domain1.districtname.org and
          domain2.districtname.org into the new domain?

Bret

Comment

Originally posted by bfessenden View Post
            Or, actually, would it make more sense to create a new domain and tree for districtname.org, and simply import both domain1.districtname.org and
            domain2.districtname.org into the new domain?

Bret
            I think they are trying to say that you cannot do that.

You should create a new forest including your parent and child domains and migrate your existing objects in your existing domains into the new forest using the ADMT, cannot remember if this tool migrates the object permissions and group memberships too, think it does. Sure they can confirm.

Comment

Sorry - I meant to say "migrate", not "import".

So I guess my bigger question is:

What's the advantage/disadvantage of creating a new tree, with a new domain, and 2 child domains, and migrating the existing domains to them.

or

Just creating the one new domain/tree, and migrating both existing domains into that?

I have read quite a bit about domains and child domains/trees/forests, etc. but I'm obviously still confused.

Bret

Comment

Reasons to have multiple domains:
                1) Security Boundary, particularly for password length etc (Yes, I know about PSOs but they are still complex to manage)
                2) Administrative Boundary, with separate groups of domain admins.

If neither of the above is important, a single domain will be a lot easier to work with
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Sounds like one domain is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Bret

Comment

Working...
                  X