Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home drive mapping to root home folder instead of specific sub folder for user.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home drive mapping to root home folder instead of specific sub folder for user.

All users are configured to point to their own home folder, via a DFS path in the AD account.

This is \\domainname\home-folders\user

We have some users this just works for i.e. 90/100 and the other 10 for some reason map to the root home folder instead of their specific folder inside of it.

All permissions on set correctly and this is only configured via the profile path in the account (not in logon script).

All users are using Windows 7 (no SP) or XPPRO SP3.

It's really intermittent sometimes works - sometimes doesn't.
    DNS works correctly from the machines and you can UNC to the patch of the home folder but then you can't. You can sometimes map it via (map a network drive wizard) and them sometimes you can't.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Home drive mapping to root home folder instead of specific sub folder for user.

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for this but I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I was wondering, this just started a couple of weeks ago for us, was it the same for you? I know we loaded a number of MS updates to our systems about that time and am trying to figure out if that was the cause.

Comment

Re: Home drive mapping to root home folder instead of specific sub folder for user.

Ok, from Microsoft either or both of these GPO changes should fix the problem. We required both:

GPO: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Scripts/Scripts/Run Logon Script Synchronously (enable)

GPO: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Scripts/Logon/Always wait for the network on computer Startup or Logon (enable)

Comment

Ahh I see, we used to use the 2nd GPO a long time ago but cannot remember why it got removed.

Also found an article off MS regarding DFS drives - MS983620

Spoke to MS on the telephone also and they are pushing towards using GP to deploy mapped drives as this is newer technology and it seems to fix the issue of mapping drives to DFS shares.

Had this on trial for about a week with about 6 users who were experiencing the issue daily.
        No problems so far!

Comment

Working...
        X