Simple AD Setup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple AD Setup ?

I am new to system admin and AD I am studying for the MCITP and Have been assigned a task of setting up a small network of user 5 connected to a win 2008 standard server. at work I am doing this...
    new server, new user computers. My question is simple but want some other opinions. I have the users in a different users folder other then the one that is created when ad is set up. Is that good? also a computers folder naming of them in AD computer 1 computer 2 etc...is this good ?

When you pros set up a new network AD is there a guide of good practice to go buy?
    thanks in advance for your time and help?

Mi32Mi32
    Ethan

Re: Simple AD Setup ?

Everyone has a different way of setting things up.

Me personally i use the Sites as a top level OU then a users and computers OU beneath that.

Site
    ----Users
    ----Computers

Naming conventions change where ever you go. Ours is 3 letters for the town/city, users first name, first two letters of the last name

EDI-WULLIE-BU

Would be mine.

Comment

For users there is a lot to be said for moving them into a hierarchical OU structure (note, not folders)
      For computers there is a possible case depending on how you want to manage them, alternatively you can leave them in the default computer container

Basically, once you move things out of the original containers, they can fall under the scope of OU level GPOs and delegated management, not just the domain
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

just keep her simple, its small, so i would do like what willieb1 said.

Comment

Agreed Simpler is better. Divide users into groups that follow your organisational structure as much as possible. Reserve admin privileges to as few people as possible. If you want a tip that will save you some time, incorporate a login script by group that will map drives and connect printers properly at login. The login process will take a few seconds longer, but your calls for missing printer or missing volume support will virtually vanish!

Comment

Have to disagree slightly about OU structure following organisational structure.

OUs should be structured to allow IT to
            a) Apply GPOs and
            b) Delegate permissions
            in a structured manner, with the minimum of administrative effort.

If this follows Org structure, very well, but don't let organisational structure drive AD

Agree re scripts, although GPPs are as good an option if you are on Server 2008
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X