NT 4.0 to AD 2003 migration question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT 4.0 to AD 2003 migration question

My company is migrating from NT 4.0 to WIN 2003 AD sometime in the new few months. I am doing a lot of the planning and have a few questions. First Iíd like to explain a little bit about the network as it is unique.

We have about 70 remote locations running NT 4.0 servers. Our main corporate office is as well but also has a separate WIN 2003 AD domain at this time. There are several web-based apps (payroll, time entry etc) that all users at the remote sites use. So, they logon onto their local NT domains on XP PCís but authenticate with AD for these web-based apps thru IE. Therefore all the users are already in AD. When it comes times to migrate the remote site we will need to install a new WIN 2003 DC and join the existing 2003 domain of our corporate office. Because the users are already in AD, Iím not actually doing a full blown migration and/or will not need to use the AD migration tool to move the NT accounts in. (I think).

My plan is to create all OUís for all sites and move the users to each site OU. Then when the remote sites comes up, and the sites replicate, all should be good. Right?
    One thing I was thinking about is home directories. The NT user accounts and the corresponding home directories will have different SIDís so what kind of problems will I face when moving home directories from the NT domains to AD???

Thanks

Re: NT 4.0 to AD 2003 migration question

A long story short, as they say. OK, some questions and suggestions. Let's see where we end up.

> My plan is to create all OUís for all sites

Why? That's a serious question. Don't do that unless you have to. The simpler the better!

> When it comes times to migrate the remote site we will need to install a new WIN 2003 DC

That DC would also do file/print etc, right? If not, you might consider to have only central DC's if your bandwidth is sufficient.

> will have different SIDís so what kind of problems will I face when moving home directories from the NT domains to AD???

Correct. You have not migrated the users, you created new ones and so lost the chance to use sidhistory. That means that you will have to redo all permissions: files, folders, applications, exchange, your name it.

You might consider to migrate the users again. Did you investigate ADMT? If not, invest half a day and see what it can do for you.

Comment

Working...
    X