Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

laptop won't join to the domain claiming that the DNS name has an invalid character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop won't join to the domain claiming that the DNS name has an invalid character

Hello all,
    I have a bit of an issue here where my laptop won't join to the newly created Windows server 2008 R2 domain accesscop.com created for testing and learning purposes. I'm using the name [email protected] which is the logon name of a user I created in the active directory. I get the following error when trying to join that user to the domain: "There was an error validating the domain name. The DNS name has an invalid character". I understand what this means at least, but I don't know how to resolve it, and according to all three of my colleagues, they tell me DNS is working as it should. If so, then what's going on, and what did I miss? I've also noticed that the IP addresses of the DNS servers on both the server and my Windows 7 Professional client are the same at all times because external requests are forwarded automatically to comcast's DNS server. If anyone could please walk me through the rest of this, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the process of getting my MCITP in Windows server administration, so bear with me. Thanks folks.

Chromebuster

Re: laptop won't join to the domain claiming that the DNS name has an invalid charact

when you choose to join the domain,

you should just join the domain "Accesscop.com"

You don't need the user suffix at that point.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: laptop won't join to the domain claiming that the DNS name has an invalid charact

When I do that, I simply get the message that a domain controller for accesscop.com could not be contacted. Have I done somethingg wrong?

Comment

double check you can ping accesscop.com from the workstation you are trying to join

your workstation should be pointing at the IP address of the domain controller - this is necessary for internal DNS to work, which is necssary for AD
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

That's a positive. No packets were lost. And also, when the ping came through, it threw an address in the 65 range. That must be the external address. So if I can ping it, then I should be able to join it, right? Though strangely enough, my DNS server address changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2. That's odd, but how in the world do I tell my laptop which DNS server to use if then I can't use DHCP? Or is DNS the issue here? Please let me know further what you want me to try. Thanks.

Comment

Can you post an ipconfig /all from both the client and DC.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Sure. I'll send them in different times since the server's shut down right now since I'm leaving in like five minutes. Darn. I'll have to figure out how to cut and paste the one from the server. The laptop's IP config, I can use another tool to get it that doesn't involve the command prompt. But I'll get the one from the server next week, and then I'll send the laptop's later on tonight.

Comment

ipconfig/all>c:\ip.txt will do it very nicely, then ctrl+C/ctrl+V from the text file
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Now please do remind me as I've never gotten that technique to work when I've used it in other command line activities. You do type the > sign in there, right? And unfortunately, I'll have to send the info in next week as I'm not on the network where it applies at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromebuster View Post
                    Now please do remind me as I've never gotten that technique to work when I've used it in other command line activities. You do type the > sign in there, right? And unfortunately, I'll have to send the info in next week as I'm not on the network where it applies at the moment.
                    Yes you do as it pipes the information into the text file without showing the details on screen.

Comment

Oh wow. I guess there's no message output giving either a success or a failure. Maybe Microsoft should change that in the future. But as I said, I'll send them next week.

Comment

Just do a regular ipconfig/all, review the results, then repeat with the >filename added
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or open the resulting text file lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromebuster View Post
                            Oh wow. I guess there's no message output giving either a success or a failure. Maybe Microsoft should change that in the future. But as I said, I'll send them next week.

but.. there is output.. it goes to the text file you piped it to.. that's the point of a pipe..
                            it puts output to a file. It's by design.. unix-like OS does the same thing.. why would they change it ?

ipconfig /all >out.txt | type out.txt
                            that would send the text to out.txt, and show you the text, all in one command line..

Comment

I'll still use the file method because I can see it clearer from there anyway in terms of the fact that my screen reader keeps balking when trying to do it from CMD anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X