Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on name and email ID change in AD

Hi,
    I want to know what is the complete procedure to change users name in AD along with new email ID. AD is in sync with exchange server.

Re: Question on name and email ID change in AD

Open ADUC
    Browse to relevant OU
    Click Action, New, User
    Enter the relevant details.

Or are you on about changing an exisitng users account details due to marriage, divorce or any other reason??

Comment

If it is renaming an existing user then:

Locate the user in ADUC.
      Right click that user and click rename, Modify the information.

Hope that's what you are looking for!
      Hari Shanker
      VCP, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA:

" Think beyond and you will go beyond."
      (Your thoughts create your reality. Widen your expectations and thought process and you'll be amazed at how thinking bigger will bring on bigger things.)

Comment

The rename option will allow everything to remian the same. However, I believe the local profile will still refer to the old username.

Comment

Thanks Virtual for adding,

That's correct the local profile will still remain same. It solves the purpose to get the display name and alias change due to various reasons such as marrige, dirvorce etc.
          Hari Shanker
          VCP, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA:

" Think beyond and you will go beyond."
          (Your thoughts create your reality. Widen your expectations and thought process and you'll be amazed at how thinking bigger will bring on bigger things.)

Comment

No problem. I also use the rename feature when a member of staff leaves and someone else is coming in to take over their job.

Comment

Sorry guys.. but that is not what I'm looking for. I know I can rename, but the thing is that, exchange is also involved, so i if I will just rename, user will have problem receiving mail.

If I change the SMTP address manually in ADUC, what effect ALIAS will make??

Comment

You havent said which Exchange version you are using, but in general you can add a new SMTP address, set it as primary and, as long as you UNTICK the "update addresses automatically" option, it will stay. Combined with renaming users, as above, this should solve your problems.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, for help. Just one last assurance, doing this, Wont it effect other applications that syncs with AD to take details. As user will want to see name and email change everywhere..

Comment

if it reads the details from AD, and you update AD, then (after a relevant period) it will update in any other applications, including Exchange

there are a couple of caveats.. it will not change, for instnace, the home drive or profile path

If it's [email protected] and you change it to [email protected]
                    then the home drive H:\jane.smith will not change to jane.citizen
                    Of course, without knowing more about your specific environment, it's hard to go further into detail on this
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X