Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving users access to install printers

Hi,

Currently running AD on windows 2008 r2. We have users that have laptops setup as restricted laptops, meaning they are unable to run any .exe files on the laptops.

The problem is alot of these people work from home and need to be able to install there personal printers on the restricted pc's. Most of the installation files for the printers run as .exe formats.

Does anyone know if there is a policy that allows users to install printers on restricted machines ?

Any help much appricated.

Re: Giving users access to install printers

Uhm.. they want to install their personal home printers, on their work computers.

You're running the sort of environment where it's neccessary to restrict executable applications.. it makes me wonder why you'd want to allow them to install their own printers, which you'd then need to support..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

you may want to consider either unrestricting the machines or purchasing the HP Deskjet 470 portable printer for the users. The printer purchase price in teh long run is easier to quantify if you want to avoid issues later down the road with the users laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldo7 View Post
        Hi,

Currently running AD on windows 2008 r2. We have users that have laptops setup as restricted laptops, meaning they are unable to run any .exe files on the laptops.

The problem is alot of these people work from home and need to be able to install there personal printers on the restricted pc's. Most of the installation files for the printers run as .exe formats.

Does anyone know if there is a policy that allows users to install printers on restricted machines ?

Any help much appricated.
        Actually not many printer drivers come packaged as exe. with the exception of exe wrappers some manufacturers decide to ship their drivers and associated print programs, but even then if you browse media you should get to the right driver files.
        How are the laptops being restricted?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

This can be closed off.

The solution I use is that I get the users to log onto the companys vpn when at home and then I move there pc's in the admin group.

I run a gpupdate /force /boot when they are on the vpn. After the reboot they have admin rights to install the printer. Once the printer is install I move the pc back into the restricted group and run another gpupdate /force /boot and when they log back into the pc after the reboot the admin permissions have been revoked.

Its not a perfect solution but it does the job

If anyone knows another way please pm me.

Comment

How about using a WMI filter for a "printer add policy" which get's applied only when connecting with a different subnet or some other variable?

It's kind of a trade off in security. I mean first you're not letting them run a possibly harmless executables but you're allowing them to print from/to anywhere, which could be just as insecure.

Or why not get them to tell you what printers they have at home and pre-install the drivers for them before they leave. I mean they can't be changing printers THAT much, right?
            GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Working...
            X