No announcement yet.

Roaming User profile issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming User profile issue

hi All,

I've setup a roaming profile for 2 users by adding the profile path in AD and ofcourse creating the appropriate directories on my server. When I logon with these users and check to see if they are carrying a roaming profile which they do successfully, now when I save anything on each of their desktop and then log off the users I get the following message

"Windows cannot update your romaing profile. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists contact your network administrator"

Upon logging back in on another pc the files I saved on the desktop don't appear. In fact i don't think the roaming profile is working at all although it does state roaming when I go to My computer>Advanced>User profiles and check there.

Please help with this, something with my set-up is not right.

Re: Roaming User profile issue

check permissions on the share, and the file system.
    make sure user has FC
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Hi KingRao,

the answer would be the same techcamel said.. give ntfs full permission to those roaming users.. and use the path as "\\systemname\sharefoldername\username"

The recommended settings can be found at the MS site but we use the following (based on best practices) -- Works with XP/Vista/7

Share on Server:
        \\SERVERNAME\PROFILES$ (root folder for user profile; \\servername\profiles$\%username%)
        Caching Off

Share Permissions on Server:
        Authenticated Users - Read
        Domain Admins - Full
        Domain Users - Full

User Profile Folder Security Privileges on Server:
        Creator Owner - Subfolders and Files Only - Full Control
        Domain Users - This Folder Only - Traverse folder/Execute File, List Folder/Read Data, Read Attributes, Create Folders/Append Data
        System - This Folder, Subfolders and Files - Full Control
        Domain Admins - This Folder, Subfolders and Files = Full Control

Group Policies:
        Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles - "Add the Administrators security group to the roaming user profile share" (so you can actually administer the profiles if needed)
        Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles - "Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders" (could alleviate issues with loading profiles to share because security isn't quite correct)

As with everything apply at own risk, and rep if you get it working
        Last edited by stamandster; 11th July 2011, 19:50.
        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^