Problems with DCPROMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with DCPROMO

Hello all. I have a virgin installation of server 2k3 R2 that I am trying to upgrade to an AD domain controller in a new forest/domain. There are not any other AD domains on my network. It goes through the wizard and creates SYSVOL and I have verified that it creates NTDS and populates it with some files (which are later deleted when it rolls back after failure). Problem is that just after creating sysvol it just dies. There are 3 errors in the DS event viewer. One has to do with a corrupted DS file (which I assume is so because the failure is deleting it). The first error is as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NTDS General
    Event Category: Internal Processing
    Event ID: 1168
    Date: 6/6/2011
    Time: 3:22:44 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: SERVICES
    Description:
    Internal error: An Active Directory error has occurred.

Additional Data
    Error value (decimal):
    Error value (hex):
    b7
    Internal ID:

The second error is:
    Event Source: NTDS ISAM
    Event Category: Database Page Cache
    Event ID: 474
    Time: 3:22:45 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    NTDS (40 NTDSA: The database page read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit" at offset 5668864 (0x0000000000568000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch. The expected checksum was 1433213569 (0x556d1a81) and the actual checksum was 1433234817 (0x556d6d81). The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06). If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

I assume this error is because the NTDS folder has been deleted by dcpromo and a background process is trying to access it.

The third error is:

Event Source: NTDS General
    Event Category: Internal Processing
    Event ID: 1168
    Time: 3:22:45 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Description:
    Internal error: An Active Directory error has occurred.

Additional Data
    Error value (decimal):
    Error value (hex):
    c00000e5
    Internal ID:
    3000e5a

The relevant bits from DCPROMO.Log:

06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Calling NtdsInstall for hsc.hendersonsystemsinc.com
    06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Starting Active Directory installation
    06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Validating user supplied options
    06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Determining a site in which to install
    06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Examining an existing Active Directory forest
    06/06 12:01:59 [INFO] Configuring the local domain controller to host Active Directory
    06/06 12:02:08 [INFO] Error - Active Directory could not create the object CN=Configuration,DC=hsc,DC=hendersonsystemsinc,DC= com. Check the event log for possible system errors. (1359)
    06/06 12:02:09 [INFO] NtdsInstall for hsc.hendersonsystemsinc.com returned 1359
    06/06 12:02:09 [INFO] DsRolepInstallDs returned 1359
    06/06 12:02:09 [ERROR] Failed to install the directory service (1359)
    06/06 12:02:10 [INFO] The attempted domain controller operation has completed

I have googled myself silly with no success. I did find that the RPC registry entry for netbt was not present but I added it and there was no change.

There is a strange informational event towards the beginning of the install but am not sure if it is relevant. Here it is:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: NTDS ISAM
    Event Category: Table/Column/Index Definition
    Event ID: 609
    Time: 3:22:43 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    NTDS (40 NTDSA: The database engine is initiating index cleanup of database 'C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\ntds.dit' as a result of a Windows version upgrade from 6.0.5027 SP1 to 5.2.3790 SP2. This message is informational and does not indicate a problem in the database.

Sorry for the long post but am hoping lots of detail will ring somebody's bell.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

NumbLock

Re: Problems with DCPROMO

firstly, run a thorough disk check.

Secondly, how much time have you spent on it.. ? Is it more time than if you just started again with a reinstallation ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks TC for your reply. I have not tried a disk check and will schedule it for next reboot. It really isn't mission critical but I would like to run an Exchange server and it requires AD. I am currently running an IMAP server but think the Exchange server would become more relevant as my business grows (God willing ).

I haven't spent a lot of time on it but it takes a while to install and all the updates (well over 100) are a pain in the bum. Guess I could as a last resort but want to see if it can be saved. I was just hoping someone here has seen this b4.

Thanks again,
      NumbLock

Comment

IMHO if you have ANY issues with a new domain, the first reaction is to blow away AD and start again. If you don't they WILL come back to haunt you later.

A fresh install of R2 will take about 30 mins, then another 30 fiddling with drivers etc.
        Do the DCPromo then and back up system state before updating.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please do not double post. The duplicate thread has been removed.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X