AD XPPro Client machine 'Host not Found'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD XPPro Client machine 'Host not Found'

I have a XP Pro AD client in a server 2003 environment with a shared printer and folder. Periodically visibility to the share and printer are lost from the server. I still have TCP/IP connectivity from the server, and the user can still browse network folders on the server, but I cannot browse the share or see the machine from the server. This is the only machine out of 15 similarly configured on the network that gives me this problem. I tried several recommended 'fixes' including enabling Netbios, and WINS. I have narrowed down a temporary fix that always seems to work and that is to run nbtstat -RR from the client, or perform a 'repair' on the client network connection. This immediately restores connectivity from the server, but only temporarily. After a few minutes or on the rare occasion, a few days, the connection once again drops. Can someone point in the right direction of what to check next?

Re: AD XPPro Client machine 'Host not Found'

I hope you are using DHCP for this client. When next time you face this issue, Check the Ip address of this PC. If it is not with a proper IP there will be some issues with network connectivity from your Swicth or cable.

Comment

nope. your post is entirely irelevant - you did not read the OP.

OP clearly states he still has TCP/IP connectivity, so it's unlikely this problem is at the lower layers of the OSI (it's still possible, but unlikely)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you reboot the workstation, does that fix it? Has WINS always been in the picture or is that something that got added to help fix this issue?

My understanding is that the nbtstat -RR command renews a clients registration in WINS. Assuming that's correct, what is the state of the clients WINS record when this issue occurs?

Comment

Working...
        X