Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giving a user "administrative" permissions on a file server folder

Hi guys

i was just wondering how do you give a particular user some administrative funtion like add remove users to the folder etc...

do you delegate access or is it through NFTS permissions

thanks all

Re: giving a user "administrative" permissions on a file server folder

Full Control NTFS permissions let you change permissions on a folder or file
    Remember they also will need Full Control Share permission if they access it by a UNC path

(Actually, they would need to access the PARENT so they can change permissions on the CHILD folder)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

really? full control on the share??? isnt that a security risk??

what i have setup is

Root folder (shared, Authenticated users have change and read)
      |
      |_ Accounting ( authenticated users= list folder/ read data, read attributes, read permissions)
      (domain admins = full control)
      ( accounting = modify )
      in the owner tab in advanced security settings i have given one user who is a member of "accounting" ownership

but he still is unable to change NTFS permissions or add users to the NTFS permissions

thanks muchly for your help

Comment

I may get hammered for this but I always set FULL share permissions for the Authenticated Users group and then use NTFS permissions to set the permissions on the files and folders in the share. That way I only need to troubleshoot one "set" of permissions when access problems crop up.

Comment

FUll control is required to be able to change permissions
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You should have give full permisson to NTFS...........and for that you have to give full control for that perticular user.........
            " DreaM is not what u saw in Sleep,
            DreaM is that which not let u Sleep "

Life is Beautiful..!!!
            `.) Always
            `.(`.) Keep
            (`.). Smiling!
            `..
            Raj only raj

Comment

What I said...
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

sorry ossian am agree with you......
                " DreaM is not what u saw in Sleep,
                DreaM is that which not let u Sleep "

Life is Beautiful..!!!
                `.) Always
                `.(`.) Keep
                (`.). Smiling!
                `..
                Raj only raj

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  I may get hammered for this but I always set FULL share permissions for the Authenticated Users group and then use NTFS permissions to set the permissions on the files and folders in the share. That way I only need to troubleshoot one "set" of permissions when access problems crop up.
                  Thats how i do mine.

Tom,

Just a really daft one here but i wouldn't give any user Full Control on a folder.

Modify yes but not Full Control.

OP,

This is well worth the read.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...30(WS.10).aspx
                  Last edited by wullieb1; 1st June 2011, 15:38.

Comment

Nor would I, but the OP explicitly wanted the user to be able to change permissions, therefore full control is required
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Nor would I, but the OP explicitly wanted the user to be able to change permissions, therefore full control is required
                      True and i never took that bit in lol.

Sorry.

Comment

Hi

You first creat a OUs name like anything and add a particular user to that OU
                        and give delgation permission to that users.

thanx

saleem khan

Comment

No, that may give the user permission to do an AD operation such as change password, but will not grant security permissions on a folder. For that you need to use security groups.
                          (You could control their membership through group policies, though)
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                            I concur - I always set full-control on the share, and then use NTFS to apply permissions below the share on relevant folders.
                            It just reduces complexity
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                            X