AD server send the whole network crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD server send the whole network crazy

We have a server MyADServer_P02 which is a secondary AD server in our MLB site and is also the DHCP server.

All of a sudden today, workstations were slowing down, logonscripts would take around 25 minutes to complete, shared network folder access was either not working or taking minutes to access. I worked on checking our two DFS servers on site and could not fault them. I then went to our first AD server, found nothing wrong then the second, MyADServer_P01 and again found no problems. Even the Event Viewer was clean as a whistle.

However, one of the other AD guys was not succeeding to RDP to the same server. I checked his RDP settings and he was trying to RDP to the console whereas I was RDp'ing to a standard RDP session on the same server.

I found what seems to be the console session was hung as it did not allow anyone to log on and just gave a grey screen when you tried. Since I had P01 as the other Ad server in the site, I decided to reboot P02 and as soon as it came back up, all users in the company reported that everything was now fixed and working OK.

I've had this issue before where a user was trying to reboot a server from a standard RDP console which normally causes the server to hang that RDP session.

Can anyone explain why this would have occurred? Thanks.

P01 & P02 are WinServer 2003 R2 SP2. Workstations are mostly Win7 Enterprise.
    Last edited by JDMils; 20th June 2011, 08:07.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: AD server send the whole network crazy

An application that was running and caused the reboot to hang???

Could be anything.

Comment

Yeah I really don't think it is possible for anyone to tell you why this happened from the description you gave. I would just put it down to "one of those things" unless it starts happening on a regular basis.
      Software for IT Pros that I've written: http://www.cjwdev.co.uk/Software.html

My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com

Comment

Don't think it was a hung app coz we could RDP to the server on standard RDP connections but not on the console session.

I've had this issue before where you try to reboot the server from an RDP session not from the console connection and the screen goes grey and some services shutdown others do not and the server goes into limbo and the only resolution is to power it off.

The console session in this case caused the server to start sending spurious non-intelligent AD data to the other servers causing them to get confused (this is my thought).
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Working...
        X