X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Trusts

Good afternoon all,

I am in need of some information....

I have a client with multiple locations with the following setup....

Site A - 2003 Domain with Exchange 2007
    Site B - 2008 Domain

Each site has it's own domain using the .local extension. There is a VPN connection between the two sites and there is a Trust in place between the two domains. Both locations share the same Exchange server for email with an additional accepted domain in place. Everything is working great all the way around. The problem I have is this....

When a new user is hired at Site B, we are creating that user in AD at each site. This means there is 2 passwords. The one the user has for Exchange/email, and the one for the Site B authentication.

I am looking to be able to have it setup so I only have to create one user that maybe replicates? both ways creating the user on both domains.

Is this possible? Maybe it's possible now and I am just doing things wrong? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Re: Domain Trusts

any reason you can't have just a single domain ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Because Site B is owned by multiple companies they wanted a completely separate domain name for legal reasons. Site B is completely independent of Site A. All parties involved wanted it that way all across the board.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Good afternoon all,

I am in need of some information....

I have a client with multiple locations with the following setup....

Site A - 2003 Domain with Exchange 2007
        Site B - 2008 Domain

Each site has it's own domain using the .local extension. There is a VPN connection between the two sites and there is a Trust in place between the two domains. Both locations share the same Exchange server for email with an additional accepted domain in place. Everything is working great all the way around. The problem I have is this....

When a new user is hired at Site B, we are creating that user in AD at each site. This means there is 2 passwords. The one the user has for Exchange/email, and the one for the Site B authentication.

I am looking to be able to have it setup so I only have to create one user that maybe replicates? both ways creating the user on both domains.

Is this possible? Maybe it's possible now and I am just doing things wrong? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
        Mike
        Site A is effectively a resource forest going by your description. You should be using the linked mailbox attribute to create mailbox's for users in SiteB. This would simply mean a place holder (disabled user account) would exists in SiteA for the said user. As every user mailbox must have an associated user account.
        You would then use the user account in siteB as the associated external account or linked mailbox. User in SiteB would authenticate will their credentials in SiteB and still be able to access resources in SiteA using the cross forest trust dependent of course on their permissions in target.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx

You can do this from the EMC.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

That might be what I am looking for. I have never messed with the linked mailboxes in Exchange. I will do some testing and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X