Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconnecting a DC after a Year !!!

Hi Friends,
    I was running my Domain with 3 Domain controllers One WinServer 2008 R2 and Two WinServer 2003 systems.

One of the domain controller with server 2003 was configured as a "ISA" server and tested a year ago and the system was down till date , Now exactly a year after I started the machine without network as I want to configure ISA server and make it as a backup firewall incase my existing firewall fails.

Now I want to know is it safe to connect this server in to network again or I've to remove it from domain ??

The below event was taken from the running Domain controller[Server 2008 R2] and you can see that date also.

Log Name: Directory Service
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService
    Date: 13-Jul-10 7:51:10 PM
    Event ID: 1864
    Task Category: Replication
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: BMMS.bmmil.com
    Description:
    This is the replication status for the following directory partition on this directory server.

Directory partition:
    CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=bmmil,DC=com

This directory server has not recently received replication information from a number of directory servers. The count of directory servers is shown, divided into the following intervals.

More than 24 hours:
    More than a week:
    More than one month:
    More than two months:
    More than a tombstone lifetime:
    Tombstone lifetime (days):

Directory servers that do not replicate in a timely manner may encounter errors. They may miss password changes and be unable to authenticate. A DC that has not replicated in a tombstone lifetime may have missed the deletion of some objects, and may be automatically blocked from future replication until it is reconciled.

To identify the directory servers by name, use the dcdiag.exe tool.
    You can also use the support tool repadmin.exe to display the replication latencies of the directory servers. The command is "repadmin /showvector /latency <partition-dn>".

Please give your suggestions on what I've to do
    Regards,

Naresh

Re: Reconnecting a DC after a Year !!!

nope. you will need to manually demote the server, while it's not connected to the network.
    then do an active directory metadataclean\up, to ensure the old dc is no longer referenced.

there are plenty of guides online on how to do both of these things.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Reconnecting a DC after a Year !!!

Fine I'll manually demote the server, while it's not connected to the network.

Then how to remove/clear the Domain controller from the Domain ?

"active directory metadataclean\up" to be done in demoted domain controller or existing domain controller ??

Please give any links
      Regards,

Naresh

Comment

Working...
      X