Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Reset Issues

Hello:

I am sure this may have been posted before and I looked around a little, but I thought would ask for some fresh and NOT dated information - something from 2011.

We are a typical small university with about 4500 active directory users. We get inundated by calls to reset passwords (we have complexity turned on).

What are best practices to solve this?

We will have some free time this summer so thought would start preparing.

Thank you,
    Jarvis

Re: Password Reset Issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-se...password_reset

Essentially though, how do you intend to prove the person who's resetting the password is in fact that person? How do you do it over the phone currently?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You haven't actually stated what the problem is.

Is it the volume of requests?

Is it the verification that the user is whom they say they are?

Comment

You say inundated - can you perhaps give some numbers?

Please confirm that you're referring to resetting forgotten passwords, rather than unlocking locked-out user accounts?

Do you provide any guidelines for your users on how to choose a good password, or have you literally just enabled complexity requirements and left the users to figure it out for themselves? A well chosen password is easily remembered. If a large number of users are frequently forgetting their passwords, then perhaps you need to relax your complexity requirements a little. What are the exact requirements that you have setup?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi:

Resetting passwords for users definitely should be automated.

If you google self service password reset tools - you will find a bunch of companies making this type of tool. Evaluate some and pick one.

We are using product called SMOP from a company called turbo-IT.

Google them - I can't put the URL here cause I am a newbie....

I can give more info if you contact me directly and some specific things to consider.

Brgds
          George

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGraham32 View Post
            Resetting passwords for users definitely should be automated.
            Automated (surely you mean self-service) password resets pose security issues which are partially mitigated by manual intervention by the service desk. The products that are available are there to fill a gap in the market where that gap exists. Ultimately, if users are having to have their passwords reset often, then that points to a problem elsewhere; while there'll always be the odd one or two users who get overly confused by the concept of a password, 99.9% should manage just fine with even moderately complex passwords with the right coaching.

I'd be hesitant to suggest that self-service password reset should be offered for every system.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi
              Yes we are using complexity.
              Our users are transitory - about 15 to 25% leave every year (graduate, what have you) - so training is an issue.
              And they are not disciplined in these matters generally. I can see if I was in a corporate environment I could do better education etc.
              Inundated for our helpdesk about 3 to 5 calls a day.

I will look at the product one of you recommended.
              Thanks,

Comment

Working...
              X