Deploying Realvnc In An Ad Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying Realvnc In An Ad Environment

I am an IT Tech for a company that has a Windows 2000 active directory based network. I was tasked to deploy REALVNC 4.1.7 (a remote administration software) to all PCs on the network. My IT manager wants it deployed by OUs (Organizational Units) but I don't think it's possible. The Deployment tool provided by REALVNC server software only gives me the option of deploying by "Network Neighborhood", Entire Network, or by IP range.

Has anyone deployed REALVNC in an AD environment? If so, how did you do it? And is there a way to deploy REALVNC by OUs??

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

ANTONIO

Re: Deploying Realvnc In An Ad Environment

Sunds like you need to repackage it as an MSI. That the only format that you can publish with a GPO.

Comment

I have never packaged a software as a MSI. How involve is the process? Can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks for all your help

Comment

Most softwares can be re-packaged as MSI, question is how complex is their installation. For simple software that only add files in the Program Files folder, some DLLs and some registry changes - you can use WININSTALL LE from Veritas, found on the installation CD of W2K. They have a newer version available to d/l from their site somewhere.

If the project is more complicated you'll need to re-package the software, and for that you can get the full-featured WININSTALL (or any other similar tool), and that will let you configure more options, but will also require more knowledge on your hand.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks for all the help guys. I will research this more.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
            Most softwares can be re-packaged as MSI, question is how complex is their installation. For simple software that only add files in the Program Files folder, some DLLs and some registry changes - you can use WININSTALL LE from Veritas, found on the installation CD of W2K. They have a newer version available to d/l from their site somewhere.

If the project is more complicated you'll need to re-package the software, and for that you can get the full-featured WININSTALL (or any other similar tool), and that will let you configure more options, but will also require more knowledge on your hand.
            I apologise for visiting this thread so much late ever since the last response was posted.

I've been trying to repackage RealVNC 4.2.6 for the past 2-3 days. Seperate packages for the viewer and the server. I unpacked the Inno setup using this utility called the "universal unpacker". Then i created packages for both the viewer and the server. AFATheViewerIC, it works like a charm. Sure, i didn't install a couple of configuration keys in the registry, but the viewer recreated them. Most importantly, it created the RSA key. Mind you the viewer prefs and the RSA key are saved into the HKCU hive : HKCU/Software/RealVNC/VncViewer

Server prefs (and the licence key) are being saved under HKLM/Software/RealVNC/VNC4. So, yeah, the Server is SNAFU so far. To be exact:

0) From the unpacked binaries lying under RealVNC\{app}, I manage to package the dlls, vncconfig.exe and winvnc4.exe just fine. no compiler errors or warnings. Then i add the keys, and still, all is well, package compiles cleanly.

1) then i tried to deploy the thing, manualy: open up powershell, cd to the UNC where i keep the package, and execute msiexec.exe /i RealVNC.msi /qn /norestart

2) package installs, just great. in under 4 seconds, too. A quick introspection into the registry shows that the licence is actually installed as a key under HKLM\RealVNC\VNC4, along with my preconfigured settings for the server.

So, my next move was to run the server from the desktop shortcut i created. server runs fine (or at least i thought so). The realvnc client though, could not connect. it came back with an error that the licence was wrong, expired or invalid. i was dumbfound.

a closer introspection into the inno setup script revealed than along with the -license switch, there's also a -generatekeys switch, for vncconfig.exe. I though to myself "there's more than one ways to skin a cat".

My goal is a completely silent installation of RealVNC over AD. no imput from the sysadmin or the user. just a new GPO, assign rights, computers and off we go. The idea of a logon script is abhorent to me: I'm not working from the unix shell and i got to init, ie, the damn CVSROOT variable or some anciet piece of software which has not ever heard the idea of private directories to save data... Why can't everybody just pass on an MSI? No, i don't want to write a script that accesses a mapped drive and copies the damn thing setup and runs it locally. I just want my PDC to push the MSI, report that everything was ok and i can go home and enjoy my evening reading Terry Pratchet or something. If i felt like flaggelating myself over pushing and configuring a software package, i'd install Gentoo and compile KDE and libc (though that probably is a sure way to get a girlfriend). anyway, 'nough ranting...

to make a long story short, and to prevent myself from falling asleep on my keyboard, i tried to insert the following value pair under the HKCU[1]...RunOnce key: SZSTRING value"%programfiles%\RealVNC\VNC4\vncconfig.exe -noconsole -generatekeys -license XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

It didn't work. sure the runonce key was executed, and the license installed and the key generated, but the client kept complaining about a "missing or invalid key". damn, i mean i'm legit. i own the key. anyway.

I started the server in usermode, by firing up powershell on the host computer and cd'ing into %programfiles%\realvnc\vnc4. Turns out that yeah, indeed the server was complaining about an invalid key when it first started up. anyway, my current hunch is that there's some wierd seeding happening with the RSA key and that the server has a way of hashing the key or the licence against each other... So basically, i think i need to generate the keys and the licence after the installation or during when the first random user logs in...

hmmm i'll post again as soon as i wake up and try the HKCM idea...

later.

(Pardon the partial incoherence i'm almost dead asleep and severely irritated. i wasted 3 workdays trying to pack this thing. it was supposed to be easy. the innosetup script is freaking easy to read, soon as you understood the basics with a bit of help from the reference... they are making me work hard, needlessly! there should be an MSI package and i should be advised to create a transform to the base package which will contain the reg files for my license... i mean, damn... the logonscript is like leftovers from the novell and lanman days... anyway, i'll stop with the grumpy ol' man act. Night folks see you tommorow)

[1] Stroke of genius: i'll try to add the same subkey under HKLM... hmmmmmm

Comment

Anybody that can help by the way, is most welcome.

Comment

So, ok, i repacked it finaly, last night. Used two custom actions: one to generate the licence and one for the key. so, the only catch to repacking is that you have to be weary that vncconfig.exe ignores the third argument.

So, you can't execute %programfiles%\realvnc\vnc4\vncconfig.exe -noconsole -generatekeys -licence xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
                you have to do it in two parts:
                %programfiles%\realvnc\vnc4\vncconfig.exe -noconsole -generatekeys

and then

%programfiles%\realvnc\vnc4\vncconfig.exe -noconsole -license xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Comment

Working...
                X