No announcement yet.

2000 to 2003 issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 to 2003 issues

We have a domain which has several child domains hanging off it. We are upgrading the domain from 2000 to 2003. So far we have upgraded some of the servers in the root domain - the forest FSMO role holder and our two primary DNS servers are amongst them. The domain level FSMO role holder is still on win2k.

We have been rolling out windows 2003 it a bit of a random fashion to the child domain controllers (we have given them no real order. I am finding that the controllers that are being upgraded are having issues as they can not replicate their DNS partition because their replication partners don't have this information as they are still running windows 2000. Should I be concerned with these errors? Or should I change the order in which I upgrade the servers?

Re: 2000 to 2003 issues

Steps to do the migration activity using the same domain.
    1. Run adprep for domain and forest using W2K3 CD on the existing W2K server holding the FSMO roles
    2. Prepare new system with w2k3 and patches, install dns on it, run dcpromo to make it an additional domain controller of the existing domain. Reboot the server and check if sysvol is replicated on the new server. Check the eventlogs so that no errors are logged in it.
    3. transfer the 5 FSMO role to the new W2K3 server along with the GC role. Remove the GC role from the W2K server and wait for replication to happen.
    4. Disconnect the old DC and run the show with new DC for some time. Once everything works fine -- demote the old dc using dcpromo. Get the system into workgroup and disconnect it forever. Check the metadata to see if record of the OLD dc still remains. Now that the system is disconnected you can give the new dc IP of the OLD dc.