Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disabling KCC from automatically creating intersite links

Hi Guys,

I wanted to use this article below to disable KCC automatic creation of intersite links

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245610

firstly I want to ask has anyon tried this on a windows 2003 server.

secondly is it advisable?

I want to give you my reasons for doing so.

All the multiple domains are under 1 forest. However, because many of the other domains are run by other departments that sometimes cause problems

i.e: we have tombstoned servers that are lingering around
    i.e: we get replication errors from them because they are constantly playing with the firewalls and thus blocking necessary ports for intersite replications
    i.e: we basically don't trust that they are mananged well so we decided to cut them off, but because of policy we have to remain under the same forest.

What I want to do is allow replication between our DC's and the Root forest global catalog dc's. The rest of the other DC's in the forest I don't want them to replicate.

So by disabling KCC I am hoping that I can then delete the specified intersite replication links and it won't recreate them because KCC is disabled.

by doing so, I assume 2 things

1. Any DC's that I join as an additional domain controller I would have to create that replication link manually

2. Any DC outside of our domain but inside the forest, I would have to create that replication link manually.

are those 2 assumptions correct?

do you guys see any further downfall with this plan?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Guys.

Re: disabling KCC from automatically creating intersite links

Personally I can see no value in disabling KCC in the enterprise. Starting with W2K3, the ISTG engine is doing a very efficient job.

Have you considered reviewing your site links layout ?
    By defining the sites and site-links with appropriate link costs, you can make ISTG generate topology in the way that sub-domains will only be able to replicate with the forest root domain.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Up to ~20 DC's and 4 Active Directory there no real need to use manual settings of the KCC... Especially if there real problem in the current network.

Regards,

Yuval
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
        Up to ~20 DC's and 4 Active Directory there no real need to use manual settings of the KCC... Especially if there real problem in the current network.
        Yuval,

I have seen deployments with much more DCs without disabling KCC and working just fine.

I remember that W2K had some issues with KCC being too slow in large enterprises, but it was greatly improved in W2K3.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Can disabling KCC be a temporary solution? Because convincing the administration for the forest root agree to reconstructing the site links may prove to be quite difficult.

I just want to know if there are any bad implications to setting KCC to manual.

Comment

Originally posted by roguecoolman
            I just want to know if there are any bad implications to setting KCC to manual.
            Except for the issues noted by Guy, not really. You can always undo it.

Comment

thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X