No announcement yet.

Reconnecting an Old DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconnecting an Old DC

Just a quickie, is it safe to reconnect an old 2003 DC back on to the network?

The hardware died a couple of weeks ago and we've just got around to trying to sort it out. It's now running again although temporarily, my plan was to bring it back online and take it out of the domain cleanly.

There are other DCs running and the domain is 2003 native. It did not hold any FSMO roles.

Re: Reconnecting an Old DC

Just for further information the tombstone time has not passed and reading a Technet article it says nothing special is required.

I'm not convinced though it's been off for at least 2 weeks, I'd like a second opinion before I reconnect.

When it died, did it hold any FSMO roles? If so, did you seize them to another DC? If so, you must not reconnect this server until after you have wiped it and reinstalled Windows from scratch. This would require you to perform a metadata cleanup in AD and DNS.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

If this server was not FSMO master before, and its AD account was not removed from the directory, you can reconnect it to the network.
        Nothing wrong can happen!
        Very probably the AD synchronization with other DCs will be successfully.

Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Cheers guys, bought it back in and replication all seems to be ok. The errors in the event logs should now stop .

Will leave it for another hour or so then dcpromo it out before it dies again.