AD handoff failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD handoff failed

My first Monday at my new job (last November), our main domain controller went down. We had a second AD but we had to seize the 5 FSMO roles on server2 because the SAM got corrupted when a hard drive failed, making server1 unrecoverable. I spent a good bit of time cleaning the AD but wasn't able to delete the final reference to a previous AD server that died last July which was preventing me from promoting or demoting new AD servers into our domain.

I've built 2 virtual servers running Server 2008 - one is running in VMWare, the other in Microsoft Virtual PC. I've joined them to the domain, and have set the 5 FSMO roles to the one running in VMWare. The main AD server is running Server 2008R2, and refuses to be demoted because it claims that it cannot see any other servers in the domain, so it thinks it's the last existing AD server.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Does the 2008R2 AD controller require other 2008R2 servers for it to share AD services properly?

Re: AD handoff failed

Originally posted by jsepeta View Post
    Does the 2008R2 AD controller require other 2008R2 servers for it to share AD services properly?
    What are the functional levels of the forest and domain?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

hate to sound like a Noob, but I'm not sure how to determine the functional levels. We're a pretty small company: 10 user accounts, 1 forest, 1 domain, no subdomains, no trusts.

Comment

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=find+functional+level
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X