WMI access denied error on one server through trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMI access denied error on one server through trust

So we are migrating from an old domain, to a new one that will be in a Virtual hyper-v environment. To free up hardware resources and make the migration easier, I am trying to virtualise the current servers. So I need to setup a trust between the domains, lets call them dom1 and dom2. This is done and works as expected. This is however were the problem then starts;

On the main DC in dom1, running server 2k3 std. and a few misc roles (file,print,etc) its fine and I can do everything I need to, connecting via dom2.

On the second DC, running server 2k3 std. and few other roles (dns,dhcp,exchange,etc) I get an access denied message from dom2.

With various troubleshooting guides I end up at WMI management. Again DC1 is fine and i can connect from a server in dom2. dc2 however again shows an access denied message when trying to connect from dom2 via wmi manager.

This has brought our project to a halt as i really need to get those old servers virtualised before I can proceed.

(new servers running server 2k8 ent 64, running in VM's via hyper-v on a core install, if that matters, tho i suspect it doesn't, as it connects to one server fine)
    James
    MCP

Re: WMI access denied error on one server through trust

If it helps, this is the error that is received in VMM:
    Code:
    VMM does not have appropriate permissions to access the resource  on the
    %dc2-name% server.

Ensure that Virtual Machine Manager has the appropriate rights to perform this
    action.

ID: 2910
    Details: Access is denied (0x80070005)
    Oh and wbemtest shows access denied also.
    Remote is enabled on the correct user account in wmimngr on dc2
    Last edited by swfblade; 1st April 2011, 09:11.
    James
    MCP

Comment

this still has me utterly stumped. I have followed all sorts of MS KB's (ones that show up when you google the problems I have) and they either don't apply or have no effect whatsoever. Has no one come across anything like this before, or have any idea's of another way to get this physical box virtualised?
      James
      MCP

Comment

Hi
        I would use the windows resource kit tools to verify the integrity of the trust.

Secondly, the trust by itself does not give rights - have you put the appropriate accounts in the correct groups on the trusting domain side?
        Brgds
        George

Comment

Working...
        X