Active Directory User's First and Last name Transposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory User's First and Last name Transposed

I have recently taken over a network with 2 08 DC's. The company used to have NT4, then 2000, then 2003. Somewhere along the way, the users that have been added to AD are a jumbled mess.

Most users are displayed as First then Last name. There are quite a few, however, that even though the properties of the user shows that the first name is the legitimate first name of the person, it still displays that the users last name is their first.

If I edit the user and correct the information, it does not fix the issue. This in turn looks like it affects the GAL as when I look through it using Outlook, the names are the same as they are in AD, some with the Last and First name transposed.

Is there a way to fix this without having to delete and recreate the user?

Re: Active Directory User's First and Last name Transposed

you should be able to write a script to export all the relevant information (even if you just do firstname,surname)

then you could use a very similar script to update the properites for ALL user objects so that it meets a specific requirement you have
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What is the Exchange version? If you have 2003 and you are using cached mode for clients:
      The field you need to change for GAL is the "display name" field; then you need to go to the ESM and update the RUS (recipient update services); then rebuild OAB manually; then go to the outlook and then force it to pull the new OAB.
      You can check the if the display name is being updated using OWA - it doesn't have a cached mode, so most of these steps can be skipped.
      In max of 48 hours all those things will happen by themselves (that is if no one touched the default configuration of those services).

Also, read this to accomplish your task with 0 knowledge in scripting and a little knowledge in AD:
      http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...s/admodify.htm

Good luck.

P.S.
      I would recommend running the program on a test OU first or even in a test environment. Always remember that AD is the backbone of all infrastructure Create a good backup.
      Last edited by venom83; 20th March 2011, 16:32. Reason: P.S.
      Regards,
      Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Can you try to use the rename function in ADUC and see if that works. AFAIK the function changes a few user attributes. You can also compare the different objects attributes with the adsi editor. Once you know that works then, you can script to change the right attributes for the rest.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

<- Venom83

ADModify is awesome stuff, although, the best I can tell it doesn't update the exchange 2003 GAL like I thought it would. I can see where it fixed the display in AD.I did manually update the Recipient Update Service in System manager but it doesn't seem to reflect the changes.
          Any suggestions?

Comment

Scratch that last comment, I wasn't changing Display Name, all is well now. Thanks so much for the help!

Comment

Working...
            X