Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissions Issue

Hello again,

I just started at this company and noticed on one of the DC's there are files showing up as not recognizable on the server. This indicates to me that allthough I am logged into the server as Administrator, I am unable to view all files because there is a higher authority. Other issues have been permissions are greyed out for Administrator as if being inherited from a higher source.

Can anything be done about this?

TIA!

Re: Permissions Issue

What OS? Sounds like a UAC problem so I'm guessing 2008?

Comment

Hi,

Try taking ownership of the resources.
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by falbanese View Post
        What OS? Sounds like a UAC problem so I'm guessing 2008?
        Right now we have two 2003 and one 2008 domain controllers.

Comment

So which DC has the problem -- the 2008 or a 2003?

Higher authority than administrator.... you must mean..... GOD
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            So which DC has the problem -- the 2008 or a 2003?

Higher authority than administrator.... you must mean..... GOD
            Maybe I wasn't clear enough so sorry about that.

It's like our domain as a whole is getting it's permission from a higher source. There are files that no administration roles can see, file permission are greyed out as if being inherited from a higher source.

I've come across the "Read" only domain controllers some where so I don't know if that is related or not.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

In your first post you say "on ONE dc"
              So which DC is having the problem, and can you confirm you do NOT have the problem on all the other DCs?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                In your first post you say "on ONE dc"
                So which DC is having the problem, and can you confirm you do NOT have the problem on all the other DCs?
                I just meant that while browsing around on "ONE" of the DC's I noticed the unknown file(s), but what I actually meant was that the domain as a whole seems to be falling unders a higher authority.

I've seen this before with other companies having multiple domain structures such as "abcd.efg.com."

So if I was a member in the "abcd" child domain the higher authority (parent domain) would be "efg." So any policies configured at the "efg" level would push down to the "abcd" child sub-domain.

But, the thing is, I've never seen anything that would indicate there is a parent domain. So I'm wondering is there is a way to confirm that, or is there another way to hide sections of the domain, even though I am logged on as administrator, and I can add my user to the domain admins as well in which I've already have, but it still doesn't give me access to those objects.

Just stumped thats all!

Comment

Working...
                X