Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Home Directories from one server to another

Hi All,

We are planning to move home directories from one server to another new server with in the network. Currently users on Office A location have a share \\servername\Alocation\username - on Current server shared foler have a permission of everyone with full rights.

New server i.e. is called server B, in my thinking if I copy across the shared folder which contains home directories to server B and creae a share \\serverb\Alocation\username will that work.

is there a wasy way of changing the path on all the users?

am i right in my thinking or is there any other way doing this process?

Also I was wondering what if I take a backup for \\alocation folder and restore it in new server B will that work as well or simple copy paste will do the job for me?

Thanks

Sam

Re: Moving Home Directories from one server to another

First move all the data to the new location and make sure permissions are preserved. Google on how to do that to suit you but for instance Xcopy can do that.
    Then in ADUC you can multiselect all user in a container and Click on properties from where there is an option to amend the Home directory.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Moving Home Directories from one server to another

Thanks for the response,

I tried robocopy and copied one user as a test, change the path in AD, login as a user, there are couple of issues I am having:

When open word or excel(from the test user) first message I get is: "your autocontent file MSO2057 .acl, could not be saved...

2nd meesage, if i clicked Ok on this error mesage with in the word if click on Open and from the left pane selct my documents the error message appears" the folder \\nhschp01\londonusers\briang is not accessable where nhschp01 is the old file server.

In order to fix this issue I have to go to wird options (or excel options) from the left pane selct save and have to add the path manually , as you can see in the attached picture.

I don't think its a good pratcise for every single user to go through all these settings.

Is there any solution for this please??

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X