AD disaster recovery question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD disaster recovery question

We have a Disaster Recovery test coming up and I wanted to run this scenario past everyone. Our production AD infrastructure consists of 3 sites. We'll call them Site A, Site B and Site DR (where our test will take place).
    I have DC's at all three sites and currently all our FSMO roles are located at Site A. We are going to simulate a disaster by physically disconnecting network connectivity to Site A and Site B, leaving us with only Site DR being alive.
    We will be bringing servers online at our DR facility with the same netbios names they currently use in the other two sites. The only change will be their IP address.
    Once we have completed our test and we bring Site A and Site B back online, how does AD handle the DNS records that have been modified while the other sites were offline? Which DC gets priority when it comes to updating records? Or should I manually change everything back before we bring the other two sites online?
    I'm not sure what to expect by doing it this way. Any help or advice on this would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

Re: AD disaster recovery question

Hi,

what are your test cases ?
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Not sure if I understand the question. But we are restoring some file and application servers.

Comment

Hi,
        Please find the answer below

how does AD handle the DNS records that have been modified while the other sites were offline?
        if you haven't made manual changes then AD will automatically updates the records

Which DC gets priority when it comes to updating records?
        This can be any DC, not sure which one which one will be picked up first

should I manually change everything back before we bring the other two sites online?
        Yes if you had made manual changes, then you need to revert them.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X