Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WINS - Still needed for resolution across 4 forests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINS - Still needed for resolution across 4 forests?

Hi, bit of a tricky one this. We've got 4 forests. 3 just have a single root domain and the 4th has an empty root and 2 child domains. We also have WINS implemented in 1 of the domains. There are multiple trusts but not every forest trusts the other.

I seem to remember somewhere that although AD Integrated DNS is used in each domain, WINS can play an important part as well, with cross forest trusts.

Does anybody know? Is it wise to remove WINS completely or should I have WINS set up on all the forests? Must admit, I've not looked after WINs in a long time.

Cheers

Re: WINS - Still needed for resolution across 4 forests?

It seems to me that WINS would facilitate network browsing and NetBIOS name resolution across the forests, so if either of those is important to you then I'd say to keep the WINS server intact and make sure all hosts are configured to use the WINS server.

Comment

I seem to recall Sembee saying that WINS was required for Exchange 2007 in a Domain. Can't remember if it was for multi site or multi Forest. Don't know if you are running Exchange or if so, what version but if you are then I would not remove WINS until you find out what the ramifications are if you do.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

It may or may not be required depending upon your application needs. I have recently implemented multiple cross forest, one way and two trust and we didn't use WINS.

btw what is Server OS. If you are on Server 2008 you can use GlobalZone this is replacement for wins although it works like wins. The best part is that you can save the data in DNS AD intergrated zones.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We dont use Exchange. We've only got 1 of our domains with a WINS server. The others dont have one.

I seem to recall something about browsing across forests being a problem if you don't have WINS. Just can't remember what exactly. If I set up a WINS server on our other domains, how do these work to provide browsing capability to the other domain?

Comment

All forests are on a 2003 domain. Looking to go to 2008 but wont be for some time due to lack of resource and other projects.

Comment

WINS is definitely not required for Exchange 2007
              2003 may still need it but a well configured DNS should mean it is not needed
              For more see
              http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2...e-2000-or.html
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can also try to do some monitoring on the wins server to see if clients are using wins.
                gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X