Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can 2008 Active Directory have Server 2003 Members?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can 2008 Active Directory have Server 2003 Members?

I am planning on upgrading my domain controllers to Server 2008 R2 to be able to use some of the cool new stuff available in Group Policy and Windows 7.

I have been told that in order to raise my domain functional level to 2008, I must have 2008 domain controllers, and all my servers must be at least 2008 servers.

To that end, I have been upgrading, or migrating everything I can to new 2008 R2 Datacenter servers, but I have run into one server that I cannot upgrade or migrate due to software limitations.

Does anyone know the exact requirements for raising the domain functional level to 2008 and using Server 2008 R2 Datacenter for both of my Domain/AD controllers? Can I have any Server 2003 boxes still?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mark Holbert

Re: Can 2008 Active Directory have Server 2003 Members?

From the main site, should answer your question:-
    http://www.petri.com/understanding-w...nal-levels.htm
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You should be ok as long as the box is not a DC.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

To reiterate the above -- functional levels only refer to DCs. You could (although probably not advisable) have an NT4 member server if you wanted.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes you can have win server 2003 as member servers not as AD. functional level is at AD level only. I have done it and it worked for me.

Comment

Working...
          X