Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPO refresh error - Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO refresh error - Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting...

Hi All,

I'm having problem with my GPO changes, that I'd like to force to my terminal server users here's what I've done:

1. I've made some necessary changes in one of the Domain Controllers to disable the GPO which applies to my Terminal Server user OU

2. and then I go to the Terminal Server mstsc /admin console to perform the GPo refresh by using /force parameter, however I got this error instead:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Adminisrator>gpupdate /force
    Refreshing Policy...

User Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting...
    User Policy Refresh has completed.
    Computer Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exiting...
    Computer Policy Refresh has completed.
    FYI:
    the target TS is running on Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 64 bit edition
    the GPO object that I changed is the Enable Clipboard Redirection (Computer GPO - Loopback) - so that the user is now able to copy paste as opposed previously disabled.

and I have this enabled in the GPO:

Policy Setting
    Turn off background refresh of Group Policy Enabled
    User Group Policy loopback processing mode Enabled
    Mode: Replace

and in the Terminal Server:

tscc - [Terminal Services Configuration\Connections]
    RDP-Tcp Properties | Client Settings
    Disable the following:
    [v] Clipboard mapping (checked and disabled)

is there any way of how to make it in effect immediately please ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Albertwt; 16th February 2011, 03:10.

Re: GPO refresh error - Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exitin

but then the changes still got no effect yet as I logged in to the terminal server ?

Comment

Re: GPO refresh error - Policy Refresh has not completed in the expected time. Exitin

IMHO, you cannot be sure GPO changes have taken effect until the server has rebooted a couple of times -- anything before that is a bonus, not an expectation

We do not know what OS your TS is using, which might help give a more informed answer, nor do we know what GP changes you are applying.

btw, there is a very useful "edit" button which allows you to add information to an existing post you have made, rather than adding a new post.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        IMHO, you cannot be sure GPO changes have taken effect until the server has rebooted a couple of times -- anything before that is a bonus, not an expectation

We do not know what OS your TS is using, which might help give a more informed answer, nor do we know what GP changes you are applying.

btw, there is a very useful "edit" button which allows you to add information to an existing post you have made, rather than adding a new post.
        hm... you could be right, but in this case my Terminal server is now accessed by several ~ 55 users nationally and restarting the whole server might be planned next month for the maintenance weekend.

Comment

Ossian, I recently found out that I have this enabled in the GPO, would this be the culprit ?

Code:
          Policy Setting 
          Turn off background refresh of Group Policy Enabled 
          User Group Policy loopback processing mode Enabled 
          Mode: Replace

Comment

Try turning the background refresh back ON
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Turn off background refresh of Group Policy make it not set
              run repadmin /syncall /e

after that may require a DC reboot but you can try gpupdate /force before that as well
              Thanks & Regards
              v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
              Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
              Independent IT Consultant and Architect
              Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
                Hi,

Turn off background refresh of Group Policy make it not set
                run repadmin /syncall /e

after that may require a DC reboot but you can try gpupdate /force before that as well
                thank you for your reply,

but how come the DC must be reboot as well ?
                this changes should only affect the Terminal Server only not the DC

I tried gpupdate /force but it returning error due to the time out issue.

Comment

Hi,

GPO gets force down thru DC. Essentially the PDC emulator role holds the responsibilty of Pushing down the changes. I suggest you "may" require to reboot the dc, not hard and fast rule but i have seens issues gets fixed after making necessary changes and rebooting the box.

You can try without rebooting and check if it helps.

you can run dfsutil /pktinfo and check from which DC your TS referring to sysvol and which DC it's selecting.If you have multiple DCs, after running repadmin wait for while for replication to be insync.

you can then issue repadmin /replsummary to check the delta
                  Last edited by v-2nas; 17th February 2011, 00:21.
                  Thanks & Regards
                  v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
                  Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
                  Independent IT Consultant and Architect
                  Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Try turning the background refresh back ON
                    Ossian, yes, I finally found out that key, but of course in this case I will need to restart the whole terminal server.

Comment

Working...
                    X